Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My hp envy m7-j010DX bottom cover is doing the same thing.

It has never been dropped. Bought it in October 2013 at Best Buy. I took the back cover partly off ast week to see if I could see what was wrong. About 5 small black plastic parts fell out.  When I went to put the screws back in I found that the one under the foot pad (back left side) does not tighten down.. so that is the location that has broken.

I took it to Best Buy Geek Squad today. He recommended I buy a back cover online. My question is if this is a design flaw, won't the replacement cover just break again?

What are my options here?

HP Recommended

Message to @george-p, @JeffHelp, @Futoji 

They'll forward the issue to HP Tech Support.

Btw is it still under warranty? (I hope it is not.)

They may charge $100 to $200 If it's out of Warranty. 

If you want to fix it yourself then Good But It's not just base cover. It's the Hinge which is hard to fix.

Also in future it may break again. Better to get it fixed with HP.

Message to above Analysts and post the progress here.

It's a long time process and you need to have Patience.

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

Hey thanks for the response.  No it's out of warranty since October.

How to I message the names you mentioned?

Don

HP Recommended

Find Futoji or other specified users comments in other thread. Click the user name and send PM.

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

Hi I'm having a very similar issue. Did you end up having to pay for HP to fix the laptop? What do I say to get them to do that? I can't afford to fix it....

HP Recommended

It's bit long process. Check similar threads and PM to the Moderators.

They'll escalate it to respective team and they contact you.

If it's hinge issue (Not accidentaly broken) then you can convince them. But it'll take time.

You can need to reach HP Tech Managers and explain the issue.

Read all Threads for similar issue. So you'll get idea of how to process further.

Good Luck!

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

Okay, thanks! I did tell my case manager that I would like to speak to someone higher up than him and I recieved a call from a supervisor this morning. Unfortunately, I had a class because I'm a college student and I just tried to call her back and it went to her voicemail. Do you have any advise on what I should mention to have them cover this issue?

HP Recommended

My neighbor and I both bought the same laptop from Staples a while back and both of them have a broken left hinge.  I am sure this is something I could fix but obviously there is a defect in the entire line.  How does one proceed to get this fixed as part of a recall or such?  I have always bought the metal cased HP DV or ENVY series laptops and this is the first one ever to have an issue like this.

HP Recommended

Read this entire Thread to find the steps to proceed.

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

A few months ago, I had the same issue.  My computer was out of warranty by several months.  I got my computer repaired.

The HP rep  will tell you they have never heard of the left hinge breaking on many of the HP laptop models...even with hundreds of posts on the forums from people complaining about the same thing.  Initially, they won't want to fix it for free...even though the issue is a known problem and design flaw.  It is easier for them to ignore it, and only fix those where the people are the most persistent.  If the rep refuses or only wants to discount the repair, which is still very expensive, ask for a manager.

Just remember to back up your computer, because for some reason they wipe your hard drive and restore it to factory default settings, just to replace a hinge.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.