Question

Honor Student
n00x
Message 1 of 6 (1,048 Views)
Accepted Solution

Upgrade cpu with AMD A10-4600M in HP Pavilion dv7-6101er (lz661ea) FS1 and FS1r2 sockets

Hello Friends. I owner HP Pavilion dv7-6101er (lz661ea) and i want to upgrade cpu. Current CPU is A6-3410MX and socket FS1 i want replace for AMD A10-4600M socket FS1r2. But i don't shure will new cpu working in my notebook? I asked this question in ADM support, they said what both CPU is compatible, but need software support in bios of specific models of notebooks. I can't ask this question in HP support because free support time of my model is ended. Please prompt - BIOS of my notebook will support a new CPU?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (1,029 Views)

Re: Upgrade cpu with AMD A10-4600M in HP Pavilion dv7-6101er (lz661ea) FS1 and FS1r2 sockets

There is no BIOS support for that CPU.

The following image shows the CPUs with BIOS support that are compatible with your notebook.

CP list.png

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
n00x
Message 3 of 6 (1,023 Views)

Re: Upgrade cpu with AMD A10-4600M in HP Pavilion dv7-6101er (lz661ea) FS1 and FS1r2 sockets

This list of cpus, was introduced before appear Trinity series. Athlon 2 N370 it is generally a socket S1g4. How said guy from support of AMD cpu electrically compatible, so the case in software support. Let it not recognize it correctly and will appear "Unknown CPU", but will work fine with this cpu. Just like was with sockets S1g2, S1g3, S1g4. They are compatible but some notebook models were given the inscription "Unknown CPU". I want to know the latest version of BIOS laptop can work with these cpu or not? Please ask some engineer who has been developing, he should will A10 work with my laptop. This is the list that you show me  - l know, and he is out of date and useless for my question.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (1,019 Views)

If you install a CPU that is not in the list, then the chance is very high that it will trigger the BIOS to generate an "incompatible CPU installed" error message.

What you want and what you can get are worlds apart. I made the recommendation predicated on making sure that someone does not spend money on a CPU, install it and find out it does not work. If you have bought a CPU and install it then the chances of getting your money back are slim to none.

AMD will not tell you which CPUs will work on a manufacturer's notebook. They sell CPUs and reference chipsets and do not give advice to consumers except the very generic advice you were given.

What you want to get and what you can get in terms of information are worlds apart. Do a lot more research on upgrading notebooks than you have already done.

Good luck

Honor Student
n00x
Message 5 of 6 (1,005 Views)

All of what you wrote - I understand that. But understand and you - the replacement of the processor is required because performance lacking. For a new book i haven't  money. You are employee of HP and really can help asking the question to someone of your colleagues who will know exactly whether to run the new AMD processors in my notebook. All my notebooks have been made HP I always helped the company - buying its products, help you and me now. I'm not asking for much - just a concrete answer - will work or not? :smileysad:

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 6 (1,001 Views)

[ Edited ]

n00x wrote:

All of what you wrote - I understand that. But understand and you - the replacement of the processor is required because performance lacking. For a new book i haven't  money. You are employee of HP and really can help asking the question to someone of your colleagues who will know exactly whether to run the new AMD processors in my notebook. All my notebooks have been made HP I always helped the company - buying its products, help you and me now. I'm not asking for much - just a concrete answer - will work or not? :smileysad:

No!! That is where you are wrong. I am not an HP employee.

Very few of us here in the forums are HP Employees. Those that are, with very few exceptions, are here volunteering their own time to help owners of HP products. This is a peer to peer forum where owners of HP products share their time and expertise helping others who need help. We are here to help. We are helping  as volunteers.

There is no concrete answer on this. Sometimes an upgrade to an unsupported CPU will work, but most often it will fail.  Read my previous posts. The risk of whatever currency you use in your country to purchase the new CPU is yours, not mine nor HP's.

Here is a solid answer for you...Use a CPU that is in the list in the Maintenence & Service Guide and your upgrade success chance will go up dramatically.  I cannot say your upgrade success will be guaranteed because there is always the chance that you may break something during assembly/disassembly or be unaware of a critical assembly/disassembly procedure and inadvertently destroy your new CPU.

If you want a high performance CPU and chipset in a laptop then choose well when making a laptop purchase. Laptop/notebooks are actually not meant to be upgraded.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation