Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi JorgeCepeda,

I see that you are looking to replace your Ralink wireless card and I will be happy to help. Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for your model. On page 42 you will see the compatible wireless cards for your model as well as instructions on how to replace it.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

HI i have the hp envy m6-1117tx and i would like to replace the ralink with the dual band intel centrino advanced -n 6230 but there are many cards with this number and then varying other numbers on them is there a specific model number?

HP Recommended

i have been having the same dodgy wifi issues for some months, where the wifi starts ok then slowly drops out over a few minutes, seems like it warms up and drops out - that said the wifi has never been great on this laptop but it did used to stay connected. i have done everything to look at whether its a s/w issue as many indicate on the web but to no avail. i removed the adapter yesterday, refit, and it seemed better for a short period then dead again.

time has come to try a new adapter (unless you think it could be something else from experience!), i have the sleekbook 15, about 20mths old, but the manual posted in this thread appears to only offer 3 solutions for the sleek book, and only one is wifi/bluetooth and thats the RT3290. in replaing my (I think) faulty adapter, i really wanted to try a different product - any ideas/options??

The manual says:

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11 b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter 675794-005
Ralink RT3290LE 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 690020-005
Ralink RT5390R 802.11 b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter 691415-005

hope you can help

thanks

HP Recommended

Hello Stavros62 and medazzling,

Welcome to the HP Community! I will be happy to assist you both.

@Stavros62Here is a link to the Maintenance and Service Guide for your model. It does have the Intel Centrino n-6230 adapter list on page 61 with the other compatible wifi adapters and the instructions on how to replace it. The part number is 670691-001

@medazzlingI can only recommend what is listed as compatible in the Maintenance and Service Guide. If you want to try another adapter then what is already listed then I can't recommend one or guarantee that it will work for you.

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I reinstalled Windows 8 and the card began working fast as it should... unitl I accepted the update to Windows 8.1 and again the wifi conectivity is very slow.

Time for HP to update its awful driver, and in the meantime, stop telling customers to switch towards Win8.1.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issues.

After my initial problem I bought an Atheros 9485GN as a replacement for the terrible Ralink. Besides bluetooth having completely disappeared (but I don't care, I wouldn't use it anyway), it worked fine as long as I kept the initial Windows 8 version. After closing many update reminders I finally gave up and upgraded to Windows 8.1, and since then everything has been terrible. Random connection drops, limited connectivity, generally very slow.

I can't believe HP is forcing me to use one of these terrible adapters, I looked for opinions online and it seems like all of them perform poorly. I am seriously considering buying an external one.

HP Recommended

you work for HP?  670691-001? really? how is this a intel card?

This page shows results for items found for the following search criteria.: 670691-001.

Select all parts

Part List Price (AUD) 

Prices include tax
Defective Core Charge (AUD) 

Prices include tax
Net Price (AUD) 

Prices include tax
Qty Select 670691-001    Contact HP  

Ralink WLAN Ralink Ripple3 RT5390F_802.11 b/g/n 1x1 PCIe HMC   

76.10 0.00 76.10  

Proceed to check
HP Recommended

Hi Stavros62,

That is the part number according to the Maintenance and Service Guide on both pages 28 and 61 of the Maintenance and Service Guide for that model. I would advise call HP directly at 1-800-474-6836 in North America or start here if you live outside of North America.

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi BHK6, 

I appreciate your help, but I cann't accept your reply as a "solution from HP" since the only reason why we are writing here is because the HP product we bought works terribly bad and we are looking for a solution on which we are investing time and money.

Please forward this post to HP HQ, service department, product managers or whoever would care to read it and then, please, tell them to stop selling products with this awful wifi card (Ralink RT3290).

And one more thing: tell your provider (Ralink) to develop a driver that works well with Windows 8.1, OR please stop telling people to switch to Win8.1.

HP Recommended

good luck with calling HP....utter waste of time the people on the other end of the line are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, CUSTOMER SERVICE what is that? . i will never buy any HP product ever again. the customer support person put me through to an automated service when i told her the part numbers are wrong then i called tech support they gave me the part number for intel centrino wireless n 2230 which is not even listed in my manual (HP Envy M6-1117TX)...a i had to call about 6 times and finally they fobbed me off to an Australian parts distributer. i found part number 636672-001 on forums and on the HP order site it comes up as Intel Centrino Adcvanced N-6230 which is on the list of the M6 manual and yeah they want 138$ in the US the part is 70$ **bleep**? The Australian distributer has it for 115$....And finally see the response here from HP  oh bad luck the part numbers are wrong YOU have to call HP and tell them....ye thanks BHK6 whoever you are your asking for kudos for fobbing me off? this is HP?  NEVER EVER buy any HP product again WHITE LIST what a joke

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.