Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to an i7 from from a i5 processor. I have an HP Pavilion Dv6t-6c00 Entertainment Notebook. If that's not possible, would it be possible to move up to a 3rd generation or 4th generation i5 or i7 processor for my model notebook?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@shadinfrada wrote:

I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to an i7 from from a i5 processor. I have an HP Pavilion Dv6t-6c00 Entertainment Notebook. If that's not possible, would it be possible to move up to a 3rd generation or 4th generation i5 or i7 processor for my model notebook?

Hi,

HP use different Intel motherboards for dual and quad core laptops. Your laptop is probably only for dual core (Core i3 and i5) processors for 35W. Core i7 processors use 45W and more so Core i7 chips won't probably work.

You cannot use 3rd or 4th gen processors on your laptop. The 4th generation use completely different socket (I think) and the 3rd one use the same socket, however it's not electronically compatible with the Sandy Bridge chipset. There is not much difference between Sandy and Ivy Bridge laptops. Haswell (4th gen) use more ultra low voltage processors so both previous generations are actually even more powerful with the mobile (M) CPU versions and there is no need for an upgrade. I have still an Ivy Bridge laptop (signature) and won't upgrade any time soon because there is nothing better to upgrade to. 

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@shadinfrada wrote:

Hi,

HP use different Intel motherboards for dual and quad core laptops. Your laptop is probably only for dual core (Core i3 and i5) processors for 35W. Core i7 processors use 45W and more so Core i7 chips won't probably work.

You cannot use 3rd or 4th gen processors on your laptop. The 4th generation use completely different socket (I think) and the 3rd one use the same socket, however it's not electronically compatible with the Sandy Bridge chipset. There is not much difference between Sandy and Ivy Bridge laptops. Haswell (4th gen) use more ultra low voltage processors so both previous generations are actually even more powerful with the mobile (M) CPU versions and there is no need for an upgrade. I have still an Ivy Bridge laptop (signature) and won't upgrade any time soon because there is nothing better to upgrade to. 

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended
Thanks a bunch! I'm glad I know that I shouldn't need to upgrade.
HP Recommended

@shadinfrada wrote:
Thanks a bunch! I'm glad I know that I shouldn't need to upgrade.

No problem!!:)

HP Recommended
Can i please get the list of upgradable processors from core i5 2430m
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.