Upgrading hard drive on dv6tqe (2642 Views)
Top Student
Jakemmarsh
Message 1 of 8 (2,642 Views)

Upgrading hard drive on dv6tqe

Hi,

I just recently purchased the HP DV6T Quad Edition. I got the default 750GB hard drive. I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade this to a solid state drive. If so, how? Are there any guides online? And what kind of SSD do I need to buy? Thank you.

Master's Graduate
Mahadev_Tech
Message 2 of 8 (2,632 Views)

Re: Upgrading hard drive on dv6tqe

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Please use the product # of the notebook to search for a HDD on http://partsurfer.hp.com/

Only the parts compatible with the system gets listed their.

To replace the HDD, you will first have to access the service door.

this link should help you with that http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02062583&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=u...

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
Distinguished Professor
pepe999
Message 3 of 8 (2,624 Views)

Jakemmarsh wrote:

Hi,

I just recently purchased the HP DV6T Quad Edition. I got the default 750GB hard drive. I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade this to a solid state drive. If so, how? Are there any guides online? And what kind of SSD do I need to buy? Thank you.

Hi,

It's not difficult to replace the hard drive by a solid state drive. DV6T Quad Edition is equpped by the Core i7 Sandy Bridge processors. The best option to buy an SSD would be a Crucial, Intel or Corsair Sata-600 SSD (Cougar Point chipsets have SATAIII ports). Use google to find the best price and capacity. Also make sure that the voltage in the laptop matches the SSD..

Dv6-7000 /Core i5-3210M/GF 650M/8GB/Intel Wireless-AC 7260/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Jessie

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Top Student
Jakemmarsh
Message 4 of 8 (2,618 Views)

So I used the HP PartSurfer, and the only SSD I see is "DRV SSD 160G SATA 2.5 FX". What does this even mean? Google comes up with no helpful results.

So are you telling me my laptop uses SATA III? Here's a Crucial SSD, like you recommended:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

would this work? Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
pepe999
Message 5 of 8 (2,611 Views)

Forget the HP Part Surfer. The SSD from the link should work but it has a bit poor write..

This one is perfect: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-Version-SSDSC2MH120A2K5/dp/B004OR0GRC/ref=sr_1_1?s=...

Intel 510 series or Crucial C300 series are the best SATA-III (6Gbps) SSDs on the market. However, they are expensive, especially the Intel ones..

You should use a SATAIII SSD for the best performance but if you need something on a budget, buy a SATAII one. Corsair has good SSDs for a good price (use it myself)..

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Top Student
Jakemmarsh
Message 6 of 8 (2,603 Views)

Okay. What size/power usage do I need, then?

Distinguished Professor
pepe999
Message 7 of 8 (2,590 Views)

Jakemmarsh wrote:

Okay. What size/power usage do I need, then?

I guess that the same as for the internal hard drive. I have replaced my hard for an SSD without checking any voltage and it worked. However, some laptop series have set some fixed voltage in the BIOS and this is why SSDs are not recognized in those laptops.

Top Student
Jakemmarsh
Message 8 of 8 (2,534 Views)

My only concern now is voiding my warranty, since the laptop is virtually brand new. Is there any way to go about upgrading to a SSD without voiding my warranty?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation