Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello I have a Hp 430 laptop with intel core i3-M380(2.53Ghz) with intel HM55 express chipset. I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 pro and my laptop has slowed down badly. I'll be getting a ram upgrade in a few weeks but im here to ask can i change my whole motherboard to something else because I desperately need a Core i5. All I need is assurance that my laptop will 

1 accept the new motherboard and i5 processor(3-4th Gen)

2 allow me to upgrade to 8Gb 1033 or 1600Mhz ram.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual for your model:

Manual

There is an available motherboard which will accept an 

Intel® Dual Core® i5-2540M 2.60-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.30-GHz; 3.0-MB L3 cache, 35 W)

That is 2d gen not 3rd or 4th. Max memory is 8 gigs DDR3-1333. 

So to do what you want to do you will have to buy a motherboard with the HM65 chipset (Part no. 646672-001) and a processor (Part no. 631255-001 or equivalent from another source) and the memory. This is not a high-end laptop to begin with and for well less than the cost of all these parts and labor, and with a new warranty, you can buy a whole new laptop. I will also say that if you have to upgrade, get a solid state drive. You are way overestimating the speed increase you will get by replacing an i3 processor with an i5. With a solid state drive, you will get the speed bump you crave for much less money.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

My processor i3-M380 is not listed here. My bios is F.39 updated so my socket is G1 will it support the listed 2nd gen cores?

@Huffer wrote:

Here is the Service Manual for your model:

Manual

There is an available motherboard which will accept an 

Intel® Dual Core® i5-2540M 2.60-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.30-GHz; 3.0-MB L3 cache, 35 W)

That is 2d gen not 3rd or 4th. Max memory is 8 gigs DDR3-1333. 

So to do what you want to do you will have to buy a motherboard with the HM65 chipset (Part no. 646672-001) and a processor (Part no. 631255-001 or equivalent from another source) and the memory. This is not a high-end laptop to begin with and for well less than the cost of all these parts and labor, and with a new warranty, you can buy a whole new laptop. I will also say that if you have to upgrade, get a solid state drive. You are way overestimating the speed increase you will get by replacing an i3 processor with an i5. With a solid state drive, you will get the speed bump you crave for much less money.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Not if the board has the HM55 chipset. That chipset only support 1st gen Intel core CPUs. I am also not sure why the i3-380M CPU that you have is not listed in the Manual. What is the Part No. of the unit? Check on the bottom or in the battery bay. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.