Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi i was trying to make my HP Pavilion dv6-6c12ed Entertainment Notebook PC to be a better gaming laptop and i wanted to make some upgrades.so i needed some info on what to upgrade but note that i wont afford to get a whole new motherboard but still u should tell me if i have to but at this time i dont think i can upgrade those kind of stuff.i will take any info that i can to make my laptop a better gaming laptop and by the way is my laptop a good gaming laptops,i am a high game player and lover and i play a lot of new and recent games.most new games that come out i would like to play them all like even watch dogs and the ones upcoming.this is why i am looking to upgrade.here is all the specifications about my laptop here is a link to my laptops info the changes i made to it is now its windows 8.1  64bit and i am using bit defender 2015 with a 6 month activation left rather than norton internet security.thank u for ur time.and please help me to make my hp a better gaming laptop  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No you cannot swap processors with your friend. Based on your questions even if you could swap it would not be a good thing to try and your processors are very close in power. Where his laptop is better than yours is the video. The video memory is not that important it is the speed of the graphics engine.  On the Radeon graphics card the higher the number the better. 7670 is better than 7400. Neither is a great gamer but his is better than yours by a fair margin. An even swap of his laptop for yours would not be cheating him. Yours is a higher end laptop generally just not for gaming. His laptop is not upgradeable either. No video card change is possible in either laptop for an amount of money less than a new laptop.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

It is a good processor and a lower middle range graphics card. It is not a gaming laptop it is a consumer entertainment laptop that has a somewhat better than average video card. It will play some games but will struggle on the demanding titles if it can run them at all. There is really nothing that can be done to make it into a gaming laptop. 

HP Recommended

then u r saying that i cant even upgrade (increase) the ram or grafics card.and r u saying its maxed out or is it just impossible to upgrade it.

if yes should i be looking for a new laptop.and i just used this for two years.but if it was possible i would want to increase the grafics card and the ram.and also why is it that both my friend and me have 5000 and something Mb total video memory.but he has a 2 gb grafics card and i got only 1gb.is it something i can configure.and note that my friend uses an Hp g6.

Thank u for ur reply Sir.

HP Recommended

RAM you can probably upgrade but that will not help the gaming much if at all. No, there is no upgrade to the video. The video chip is part of the motherboard and cannot be changed. 

HP Recommended

ok thank u for that but u understand that i also have an amd radon 7400 video card right?thats what i was asking to upgrade not the intel 3000.just make sure that u told me abt the amd radeon 7400 one and i also heard that there r external grafics cards u can use through the usb or something.

sorry abt the to many questions.

HP Recommended

Same goes for the Radeon and external graphics cards are for adding multiple monitors they are not for gaming. USB cannot carry enough bandwidth to support a really powerful video card. 

HP Recommended

thank u very much sir i have one more question for u,the friend i mentioned earlier who has a g6 have Intel(R) core (TM) i7-3612QM cpu @ 2.10 GHZ 2.10 GHZ but mine is Intel(R) core (TM) i7-2670QM cpu @ 2.20 GHZ 2.20 GHZ.and i think his is better what i am saying is since he doesnt use his laptop much we decided to swap the processers each other,will his proccesser work on mine is it possible.

after u answer that whose computer is better for gaming his or mine and note that his laptop is g6,the proccesser is like i already mentioned and his grafics adapters r intel hd 4000 mine is 3000 and he has radeon hd 7670M mine is 7400 and he has a 2gb grafics mine is 1gb.and he has 6 gb of ram and mine is 8 gb.

what i really whant for my second question is that i have a chance to change computer with him should i be willing to change,is his computer upgradable and is it better with the whole existing overall.or should i just change the proccesser with him.

and if i change proccesser will i get a better gaming.

i know all this asking might be a lot but i am not an expert on laptops thats why i am asking a lot please take ur time to give me more details abt it.thanks again sir.u r a life saver.i just hope u help me to get the best out of my laptop.

HP Recommended

and also u r saying that there is no way to upgrade the grafics card except changing a another laptop.

HP Recommended

No you cannot swap processors with your friend. Based on your questions even if you could swap it would not be a good thing to try and your processors are very close in power. Where his laptop is better than yours is the video. The video memory is not that important it is the speed of the graphics engine.  On the Radeon graphics card the higher the number the better. 7670 is better than 7400. Neither is a great gamer but his is better than yours by a fair margin. An even swap of his laptop for yours would not be cheating him. Yours is a higher end laptop generally just not for gaming. His laptop is not upgradeable either. No video card change is possible in either laptop for an amount of money less than a new laptop.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

thank u very much sir u have solved every question i had in my head abt this topic and i am sure other people will find this usefull too.thank u for ur time.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.