Question

Student
mouseq
Message 1 of 4 (398 Views)

Upgrading the dv7-6166nr

can the processor and graphics card in the dv7-6166nr be upgraded?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (396 Views)

Re: Upgrading the dv7-6166nr

[ Edited ]

Hi:

The processor can, but the graphics cannot without a complete motherboard swap for a motherboard with a better GPU.

Not worth doing that (replacing the motherboard), IMO.

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

Supported processors can be found in chapter 1, starting on page 1.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278.pdf

System boards can be found in chapter 3 starting on page 26.

Paul

Honor Student
sixgunzx2
Message 3 of 4 (341 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've upgraded my APU from A4-3300 to A6-3400

dual core to quad core ... Since AMD APU has the ATI graphics by upgrading to quad core I also upgraded the video for the laptop

All my bench marks have gone up and the Laptop (same model) are stable as the day I bought

Currently looking to upgrade to the A8 model but finding one that works has been a challenge

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/621678-hp-dv6z-a8-3530mx-processor-upgrade.htm...

Again the original upgrade worked but not as it should due to a faulty APU purchased on Ebay - but refund and another purchase were successful

Video went from ATI 6480g to ATI 6520G along with added cores - goodluck as the upgrade is a major fiasco - laptop must be almost totally taken apart  :smileyhappy: but after to such ventures I think I can do it in the dark

Honor Student
sixgunzx2
Message 4 of 4 (338 Views)

[ Edited ]

given the fact that our laptops have the new AMD APU with built in graphics upgrading the APU (CPU)-AMDs version - also upgrades the graphics card - I can play Crysis 2 - Left for Dead2 - Battlefield3 with NO issues what so ever - with the prior APU it was laggy even at low settings

Follow the link posted and you will see my results ... as well as those of others - mine being the same laptop as yours you will see there are no issues - added SSD drive to first bay and moved original drive to 2nd - had to purchase the cable - added 4 gig ram as well - love the upgrades

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation