Question

Student
duke2004
Message 1 of 2 (67 Views)

Upgrading to a 4th generation Haswell CPU

Hi guys,

I would like to know if there is any possibility of upgrading my HP Pavilion dv-t 8 1100 CTO laptop (Product# VF836AV) to a better motherboard.

If not, can I upgrade to a better or newer CPU's?

Thanks a lot,

David

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 2 (62 Views)

Re: Upgrading to a 4th generation Haswell CPU

As far as I can see there is only one dv8 system board and the only processors which are compatible are 1st gen i7s. Here is the manual:

Manual

The board has the PM55 chipset which will only support 1st gen Intel core processors. HP can make it support a smaller subset of CPUs, but can't make it accept 2d or 3rd gen processors. 

I know the dv8 is kind of a unique creature and finding another monster laptop will not be easy but there is just no other motherboard or better CPUs available. I know Alienware makes an 18 inch gaming laptop that I believe uses slightly newer processors. If you could live with a 17 inch screen there are many more options. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation