Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 650 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've recently purchased a HP ProBook 650 G1 laptop. This model does not have a backlit keyboard and I would like to upgrade to one.

From what I read on the internet the motherboard on this laptop suports a backlit keyboard (the model is Intel HM87) and also on a detailed PDF from the HP website describing this model it says and I quote "Backlit keyboard available as an option".

Can anyone tell me what keyboard should I buy? Because I can't find it online. Can you give me a part number of the backlit keyboard for this model?

Or a part number of a compatible model. I imagine that maybe a backlit keyboard from a different model of laptop should be compatible with mine. I found laptops with similar keyboards as mine but backlited (like hp envy 17) but I don't know if they are compatible.

Sorry for my bad english. I hope you will help me find a solution.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The current Store (which still offers this model) does not list a backlit keyboard as an option. The backlit keyboard part is not listed in the Manual. It is as if they planned to offer it then decided not to. About all you can do it strip it down to the motherboard and see if the header is there. Without that it is a show-stopper. If it is there, the keyboard that would work would have to be a keyboard from another 15 inch model and I am not sure which that would be.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Service Manual

There is no mention of a backlit keyboard. The motherboard chipset (HM87) really does not determine whether there is a backlit keyboard. That is up to the laptop maker to put a keyboard light header on the motherboard. Without that, there can be no backlight for the keyboard. And they are very specific parts. Do not buy a keyboard made for another model on the hopes it is "close enough". 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply. I put a link here with the PDF i'm talking about:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04126035

At page 15 it says : Backlit keyboard available as an option.

I've used the configurator from the Hp website to see if is possible to select a backlit keyboard for this model but is not possible.

So then I'm wondering why does it says that is available as an option?

Thanks a lot for your help

HP Recommended

The current Store (which still offers this model) does not list a backlit keyboard as an option. The backlit keyboard part is not listed in the Manual. It is as if they planned to offer it then decided not to. About all you can do it strip it down to the motherboard and see if the header is there. Without that it is a show-stopper. If it is there, the keyboard that would work would have to be a keyboard from another 15 inch model and I am not sure which that would be.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.