Question

Honor Student
joland
Message 1 of 4 (1,716 Views)
Accepted Solution

What are the Steps to Installing New Hard Drive for Compaq Presario 61-420US Notebook

I purchased a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320 GB Sata Hard Drive to replace fried original.  The drive is installed.  After turning on laptop, error message was 'no boot device detected'.

I turned off laptop and pressed F2.  I'm running a hard drive test, first short then long version. 

What are my next steps?

I have the HP Recovery disks in hand?

Thanks!

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 4 (1,711 Views)

Re: What are the Steps to Installing New Hard Drive for Compaq Presario 61-420US Notebook

joland wrote:

I purchased a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320 GB Sata Hard Drive to replace fried original.  The drive is installed.  After turning on laptop, error message was 'no boot device detected'.

I turned off laptop and pressed F2.  I'm running a hard drive test, first short then long version. 

What are my next steps?

I have the HP Recovery disks in hand?

Thanks!

Hi,

The error message says that there is nothing for boot, it means that an operating system is not installed or the MBR is corrupted which is not your case. The hard drive is ok, but you have to restore the system using the recovery disks you have got. 

It's simple, change the boot option in the BIOS to CD/DVD-ROM as the first one (press escape on boot and then F10), then you may insert the recovery disk no.1 to the optical drive. Then save the BIOS settings (reboot) and follow the instructions (choose factory reset). It worked for me this way..:smileyhappy:

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
Testing - HP 15-p000
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
joland
Message 3 of 4 (1,706 Views)

Re: What are the Steps to Installing New Hard Drive for Compaq Presario 61-420US Notebook

You are a genius!!!

Thank you so much!

Hugs to you!!!

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 4 of 4 (1,693 Views)

Hi, you are welcome mate. The recovery disks restore the laptop it its factory condition, it means exactly the same state like when you bought it (with a recovery partition etc.). Next time in troubles hit F11..:smileyhappy:

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
Testing - HP 15-p000
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation