Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Just bought a 15-f010wm from Walmart.  It comes standard with a single 4Gb simm.   In one place the manual says the simm is not user replaceable and then in another part has a diagram and instructions to replace it.  One Walmart forum posting said the memory 'should' be upgradeable to 8Gb.  Should is not an answer.

The question: Can the memory be upgraded to a single 8Gb Simm? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I called HP and after being somewhat persistent was told that this machine can be upgraded to a single 8Gb card.  Based upon all information I have read and received I am 99.9999% confident that this is true.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi geoffhp

Exactly 8GB (1x8) single module is the maximum supported because it is the maximum that supports the processor:

http://ark.intel.com/es/products/81071/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2830-1M-Cache-up-to-2_41-GHz

HP Recommended

Geoff.

Please recheck your model number.

On the bottom of the laptop or under the battery.

REO

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I had seen that this chip can support 8Gb somewhere but then I didn't know if any other aspect of the machine would restrict that.  The answer below says that the manual says a maximum of 4 (which it does) and then supplies a web site that provides an 8Gb simm but since that is not from HP, I didn't know if I could trust it.

I tried to call HP on Friday but they were shut.  I am leaning towards thinking your answer is correct.

HP Recommended

That is the model.  Just curious why you thought it wasn't?

HP Recommended

Thanks for that info.  I wouldn't buy a third party 'upgrade' until I got 100% confirmation that it would work.  I suspect based upon the first reply that it would work.

HP Recommended

You can run the utility Crucial but do not think you can get more than security, is not possible to know 100% until memory is installed.  

Crucial.com - Crucial System Scanner

HP Recommended

Also keep in mind on that model reaching the memory to perform an upgrade requires removal of the motherboard and will void the warranty. There is no easy access panel to install memory or change the hard drive.  The Manual shows a panel which I believe is absent from the Celeron and Pentium models with a single memory slot. 

HP Recommended

The manual showing the panel to remove/change the panel is in fact correct. I just physically verified it.

The manual is incorrect on an earlier page saying that the memory is non-customer-accessible.  The manual contradicts itself but the diagram showing how to remove it, is correct.

This still leaves me with the hope that the memory can in fact be upgraded with a single 8Gb memory module but this remains a question since HP doesn't say it can be but Micron/Crucial says it can.  I will call HP tomorrow.  Since the Celeron chip can handle 8Gb I am optimistic.

PS - If anyone from HP is reading this, you need to update your manual.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.