Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@dancrucifixxx wrote:

if i did install a 64 bit operating system would i beable to use 8 gb of ram

According to the manual, the system supports up to 4GB of RAM. The chipset is Intel GL40:

http://ark.intel.com/products/35501/Intel-82GL40-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller-Hub

It says max 4GB of RAM too. Try this to determine how much memory may the system handle:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

@dancrucifixxx wrote:

which chip?

I meant the wifi chip as you said there is some kind of problem and it doesn't work anymore. The Intel WifiLink is a top class wifi card.

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

@dancrucifixxx wrote:

also can i upgrade the hard drive to a 1tb or 500 gigabyte one the manual only specifies 250gb so if i get a 1tb would it work

I strongly believe that a 320GB 5400rpm hard drive might work. Unfortunately I don't think that a 500GB will and a 1TB definitely will not work at all.

HP Recommended

I really appreciate all of your help you are awsome thanks

HP Recommended

@dancrucifixxx wrote:

I really appreciate all of your help you are awsome thanks

You are very welcome!! Glad to help. 🙂

HP Recommended

Also i tried upgrading the cq50 with the Intel SLGFE Core 2 Duo Mobile P8700 Laptop CPU 2.53GHz 1066MHz 3MB Processor it starts up then shuts down imediately then it after a few seconds starts again and stays on without any picture just a black screen all the other lights come on just not the screen. i replaced it with the original processor and it works fine again

HP Recommended

@dancrucifixxx wrote:

Also i tried upgrading the cq50 with the Intel SLGFE Core 2 Duo Mobile P8700 Laptop CPU 2.53GHz 1066MHz 3MB Processor it starts up then shuts down imediately then it after a few seconds starts again and stays on without any picture just a black screen all the other lights come on just not the screen. i replaced it with the original processor and it works fine again

Have you tried to "Load optimized defaults" or something like that in the BIOS? If it stays on it's a good thing. I have just double checked the chipset and that GL40 might be the bottleneck. Perhaps one of the GM45 boards (494281-001) would be a better option for the CPU. 

HP Recommended

I was thinking the board might be the problem and was considering getting a better one i wanted to get one with hdmi what would you suggest i get

HP Recommended

@dancrucifixxx wrote:

I was thinking the board might be the problem and was considering getting a better one i wanted to get one with hdmi what would you suggest i get

The board with HDMI has a different number than I mentioned because I didn't know if there is a slot room for it on the laptop as the replacement is not with HDMI. 🙂

HP Recommended

which would be better the one with the gm45 chipset and hdmi 485218-001 or the one with the 

NVIDIA GeForce
9200M graphics 488338-001Imgoing to be installing this processor Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.80-GHz processor (6-MB L2 cache) 489157-006

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.