Question

Honor Student
flyguy83
Message 1 of 4 (1,504 Views)

can i upgrade my hp pavilion g7-1263nr dual core processor to a quad core?

I would really like to upgrade my laptop to a quad core processor because I love my laptop and I want to be able to play the latest games.  the 2GHz is not enough for most new games.  Can someone provide me with some feedback as to which processor would be compatible with my notebook in order to make this happen?  I appreciate any info, this is my first computer and I would like to get the most out of it.  Thank you

-Roger

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (1,498 Views)

Re: can i upgrade my hp pavilion g7-1263nr dual core processor to a quad core?

Hi, Roger:

Below is the link to the service manual. Recommending an upgrade for your PC is a little complicated.

Supported processors are listed in chapter 1 on page 1. It appears you can upgrade to one of 2 quad core processors, but you need to know what chipset is on your motherboard

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02834058/c02834058.pdf

See chapter 3, page 13. As you can see the AMD fusion, is out because only 1 motherboard goes with that.

Then you need to know what chipset the quad core processor works with. If the chipset the quad core processors goes with is the same as yours, then you can just swap out the processor and it should work.

My conjecture is that since your PC comes with the 3300M dual core you should be able to ugrade to the 3500M quad core.

Paul

Honor Student
flyguy83
Message 3 of 4 (1,474 Views)

I want to thank you for your feedback about upgrading my notebook processor.  I downloaded the link you sent me on the manual for my g7.  It gives me step by step instructions on how to replace a processor.  Well, i found an A6 3500 quad core processor (2.4 GHz). As you already know, I have the A4 3300 dual core processor.  I think I can follow the directions, but if I buy the box, does it come with a BIOS disk setup to install the new processor?  I only ask because it doesn't tell me what is included in the processor box.  But my main concern is if I buy this processor, how can I find out if it will be compatible with everything I have running right now?  I want to be absolutely sure that this won't crash my computer because I over-looked certain details.  Your feedback has been most helpful and I appreciate your time.  And in your professional opinion, do you think the quad processor can keep up with most new games (2.4 GHz)?  Thanks again

-Roger

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (1,470 Views)

Hi, Roger:

I don't believe you need to update the BIOS to install the 3500 processor.

But isn't the processor listed in the manual the A8-3500M?

I don't see an A6-3500M. I see an A6-3400M.

I can't just assume the A6-3500M would work. On paper it should but...it isn't listed in the manual.

Certainly there will be no BIOS disk with the processor,as there are tons of different BIOS depending on notebook models.

You download BIOS updates from the notebook's support and driver page if one is necessary.

I read the BIOS release notes for all versions listed on your notebook's support and driver page,and do not see that any add support for processors.

That would indicate to me that any of the processors listed in the manual can be installed w/o needing to update the BIOS.

Since I don't play any video games, I cannot comment on the processor's ability to handle the load.

As you know, performance is based on a combination of the Video GPU, amount/speed of system memory, and the processor.

I imagine the heat output is going to increase, so make sure you have a good thermal transfer on all the heat sink contacts.

Regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation