dv5 1002nr blank screen n beep code of series of 3 beeps (101 Views)
Top Student
kahlic
Message 1 of 10 (101 Views)

dv5 1002nr blank screen n beep code of series of 3 beeps

Hi...I have this dv5 1002nr laptop..upon boot it gives a blank screen and a series of 3 beeps three times..the beep codes I found say its the memory..I tried that to no avail..what would the next step to try..any ideas?
Teacher
antde2001
Message 2 of 10 (90 Views)

Re: dv5 1002nr blank screen n beep code of series of 3 beeps

Hey there, kahlic

I see you laptop is unable to boot and you're getting a beep code of 3 beeps when turning the device on.

You were right in your assessment of this sequence being indicative of a memory problem. However, you say you've attempted some sort of troubleshooting to no avail. What steps did you take to try to solve the issue with the memory?

Did you remove all DIMM modules from the motherboard and replace them one at a time, attempting a boot on each single installation?

If you have not, try this and see how this affects your boot success.

While you're removing the dimm cards, conduct a visual examination of the cards and the seating to make sure there are no cracks, build-up(black substance on the contact surface), or dust. The contacts should be a dull golden color devoid of any dark marks or irregularities.

If reseating your dimms do not solve the issue, you may be required to purchase new memory for your system.

Are you aware of your device's warranty status?
Top Student
kahlic
Message 3 of 10 (85 Views)

I did reset and perform these checks that u hv suggest..they looked good. I then bought new dimm..still nothing..warranty is no more...sadly
Top Student
kahlic
Message 4 of 10 (84 Views)

I reseated the dimm that was in it...in both slots to see..then baught new one ..tried it and still same beep code
Teacher
antde2001
Message 5 of 10 (81 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you've purchased new RAM and the same error is occurring then it is likely that you have a failing motherboard.

You can call HP support or navigate here to initiate the order of a replacement mobo or to schedule a repair.

Top Student
kahlic
Message 6 of 10 (77 Views)

I did reset and perform these checks that u hv suggest..they looked good. I then bought new dimm..still nothing..warranty is no more...sadly..one more thing..oddly u can't here the beeps when either dims are seated on the top " seat"
Top Student
kahlic
Message 7 of 10 (76 Views)

Thanks
Teacher
antde2001
Message 8 of 10 (73 Views)

kahlic wrote:
I did reset and perform these checks that u hv suggest..they looked good. I then bought new dimm..still nothing..warranty is no more...sadly..one more thing..oddly u can't here the beeps when either dims are seated on the top " seat"

Am I understanding this to mean the beep codes aren't produced when either dimm is placed on the top slot? If this is so, I'm assuming even with this configuration your laptop is still unable to boot. 

What happens when booting with one card seated in this slot? Do you still not see anything displayed on-screen? 

I ask because without a beep this means your system detects the installed memory and may be indicative of another problem.

Top Student
kahlic
Message 9 of 10 (71 Views)

The led lights still blink but no sound and still black screen.this is with one card seated in the top slot
Top Student
kahlic
Message 10 of 10 (68 Views)

Sorry hit the except as solution button on last post by accident.not the case
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation