Question

Honor Student
tstinson
Message 1 of 4 (4,581 Views)

dv7 charger voltage question

Just got a new HP Pavilion dv7-6b55dx and checked power supply adaptor to see if adaptors from my old HP Pavilion dv9930us would work.

First thing I noticed is the plug ends differ between the old and new adaptors.

I then found that the output of the adaptor for the older laptop is 19 volt / 4.74 amp / 90 watt, whereas the output of the adaptor for the new laptop is 18.5 volt / 3.5 amp / 65 watt.

QUESTION:

Is the output voltage/amperage difference between the older adaptor and the new laptop an issue?

Would the old adaptor work on the new laptop - IF a dongle to adapt the old adaptor plug end to the new laptop receiver?

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (4,579 Views)

Re: dv7 charger voltage question

Hi,

• For the voltage: equipment can happy to work with plus/minus 5% therefore 18.V or 19.0V should be ok
  • For wattage (and ampere): higher is better that why they are more expensive. The downside is they are heavier.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
tstinson
Message 3 of 4 (4,577 Views)

Thanks for quick response.

Do you know if an adaptor is available for the different plug end on the old adaptor to fit the receiver on the new laptop?

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 4 (4,575 Views)

Hi,

Sorry I don't know but I know on the market today there are few changers which can be used for many machines from different vendors such as this one. It has many different tips.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation