Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
You can be assured this is not a software related issue.
The fix is hardware replacement.

Most probably it's the keyboard and touchpad controller on the motherboard.
HP Recommended

Could this be a Linux-specific issue?

Have a look at this forum thread? They seem to be able to reproduce this problem on the HP Pavilion DM1 models:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=141563&p=1

It seems to not occur under Windows (for which the Laptop is intended), and is somewhat specific to the new Linux kernel and Broadcom WL driver.... 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am afraid; this appears to be an issue related to hardware. Please contact HP to avail hardware support on the product.

Refer to product warranty manual for contact information. Alternatively you may get the contact details of HP support for your region/country on regional/country HP websites. such as for India, visit hp.com/in and click connect with HP(sample below).

contact HP.JPG

Hope it helps.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
HP Recommended

hi,

i have the same problem, i bought my dm1 4000au just a couple of months ago. the keyboard + touchpad stops working. i look for possible solution, i updated the bios and the synaptics. but still the problem is there. i reviewed again if the problem was a hardware or software related, apparently the keyboard + touchpad hanging is due to the cpu's fan settings. and somehow associated with the Coolsense control. so i decided to turned OFF Coolsense. i don't know if the problem with my keyboard will not occur again, since i am using it right now without problem. i hope this is the solution.

i think, Coolsense is good ON if you are in an airconditioned room.

Viki

HP Recommended

During freeze, has anyone checked if any key(s) works?

In my case I found that the brightness-keys still works but e.g. audio(speaker) - & + stop working.

Of course, a - z / 0 - 9 not working.

HP Recommended

Same here -- keyboard trackpad stop responding but brightness and wireless enable/disable function keys still work.  Very frustrating.

On a Dm1-4010us running Ubuntu 12.04.

HP Recommended

turning OFF Cool sense work for me. the problem with keyboard and touchpad don't occur almost 2 days already. 🙂 but still, Hp please help.

HP Recommended

what exactly do you mean by "turning off cool sense" ? how?

HP Recommended

Go to control panel and look for HP Cool Sense then turn it OFF. or in Start Menu, type in the Search box Cool Sense, the HP Cool Sense will appear in the lookup, then select, turned it off.

I got an HP DM1 4000AU.

HP Recommended

I solved all my issues - there was no hardware failure after all. I had a faulty USB stick from which I was installing Ubuntu.

I now installed from a USB Hard Drive, all went smoothly, and no problems after 1 week of usage (under both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04) 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.