Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

And You can quickly fix the freezing by using buttons ClickPad Enable/Disable (tab TouchPad Settings, Synaptics).

This also indicates that it is some software/driver malfunction.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes I have a dm1 in the UK and it has the same problem too!  Seems to occur most often if I have a USB to RS232 cable plugged in.  But strangely the mouse and keyboard appear to be PS2 devices!

Let me know if you find a solution and I will do likewise.

David.

HP Recommended
I got exactly that problem on my dm1 4175sa, it drives me nuts. Have you found a solution ?
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hello everybody,

Also having the same problems during months. Still haven't found any solutions. Just going to try give everything I've figured out.

Problem : Keyboard and touchpad is freezing at some point. (not the whole system, just the keyboard and the touchpad).

- Can get them back after have put the system on sleep and let it 'cool down'(?).

-Happen on both Windows 7 and Linux (Tried Fedora and Ubuntu). But it's better on Windows 7 (Tried Windows 8, it's worse).

- Energy Settings plays. It is better to be on "energy saving", and it's better to be on battery.

- Heat don't seem to be the trigger, but seem to be a factor. Because when the freezes appear, it is needed to let the system cooldown (or is it a capacitor which is discharging?!). Also think that it was worse during the summer so...

- Happen when transfering data trough usb.

- Tried to remove both Keyboard and touchpad (with the connector), didn't help, don't seem to be an issue with keyboard/touchpad hardware. I would more say it's on the processor.

- Better without Wireless connexion. Mostly the Bluetooth. (Tried without the wireless chip, still the issue)

- Tried to let the fan running at full speed. The issue still occurs, maybe it's the heatsink. Also tried thermal paste, seem to help a little, again, I'm not sure (like I said, the heat seem to be only a factor and not the cause).

I think it's definitely the processor, or the graphic part. Or at least, defintely something that we can't remove from the mother board.  It's defintely a hardware issue, but since it works better on Windows than Linux, it looks like that the software can be/is also involve.

By the way, I have an HP DM1-4131EF 

Hope it helps anybody and will help to find/resolve this issue...

PS: Don't have english as main language, sorry if there is any mistake.

Edit : From what I've read on other posts, it seems that the issue only occurs with hp pc with the AMD E-450, so I think my guess was right, and the issue is most probably on the processor. Now, is it a heat sensor, the processor, or the motherboard, that's the question... and if it's possible to resolve it into the sofware...

HP Recommended

Me again,

I take back what I said earlier,

I'm quite sure to have localized the problem. It's the chipset FCH (Fusion controller hubs), I think its reference is "AMD A50m".  And I think it's a heat problem issue (bad airflow or manufacturing defect?), found by trying to cool down that chipset with an ice... x). Haven't had any mouse/keyboard freeze for 5mins in a usb transfert (could just be a coincidence, but I don't think so). And it looks coherent since this chipset is what control usb (and mouse/keyboard too I suppose), so I think we're in the right thing. 

Anyone know how we can play with his heat? Is it the "AMD Sata" Driver in Windows? Is it possible to downclock it or something?

Hope it will help someone to find how to resolve this issue...

Regards,

HP Recommended
Is there any soultion for this problem? I started facing this since a week ago. My keyboard & touch pad stops working and i can feel more heat near the vents. I need to shut down or keep the notebook in sleep mode for 20 min and start using it again. It will work another 15 minutes before the keyboard / touch pad stops working.

I have taken my notebook to HP service center - Redington India Services in Hyderabad and they told me to change the mother board.

Kindly inform me if there is any solution? Is this a mother board problem? Is replacing the mother board required?

I am astonished to see that HP kept absolute silence when so many customers have reported similar complaints. Not only in India, but worldwide. Just by searcing the web, many complaints are seen posted in various countries support forums. HP should fix this problem on all the notebooks sold till date.

HP Recommended

Are you to fix the over heating problem?

HP Recommended

Hello asshourie.

Have you tried updating your BIOS?

Have you tried cleaning the cooling vents on the notebook as per this document?

I'll await your reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

could you tell me, whether it's normal, that laptop is going hot (55-60 C) on idle (the temperature of both CPU and HDD)? When making video calls, CPU achieves 70 C. Also, it can work on battery only 1h 20 m ( from the beginning it was 1h40m).

My laptop is CQ61-222SL (with internal Intel video), bought in October 2009 in Italy.

I'have cleaned fan, heatsink, changed thermal paste and got only 3-5 degrees profit.

Is there any way to decrease idle temperature? Could it be cause of inproper drivers (yet I've used latest versions)?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.