Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello Pavel-Minsk.  I understand your computer is running hot.

Have you updated your BIOS?  Here is a link to the latest BIOS.

According to the notebook's Maintenance and Service Guide (section 6-1) those temperatures are warm.  However, they shouldn't be hot enough to damage internal components.  Have you experienced a thermal shutdown?

Another option is to enable the "Fan Always On" option in the System Configuration section of the BIOS.  This will, of course, mean the notebook will make more noise.

Also, while unlikely, it is possible that some software which controls the way the system cools itself needs to be updated.  So, run HP Support Assistant and Windows Update.

A final option is to utilize a cooling mat such as these.  I use one of these on my own notebook and it works fairly well.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Have a lovely day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your attention!

Yes, I'm using latest BIOS and drivers, however, do you think, that newest versions should work better, then earliest in any case?

Fan always On is enabled. It is really working all the time, and regulates speed normally.

No, thermal shutdown has never happened, but because of this enormous energy consumption my powersupply had died one year ago (2.5 years after buy). Also, fans and heatsinks are working well: the air is going out of the body very hot (I have changed thermal interface with a peace of indium, like in processors :-), and managed to decrease the temperature somehow) .

I just don't understand, what is the source of the heat? Chipset or processor (Pentium Dual core T4200 2.1 GHz)? Because processor decreases clocks on idle pretty well. Thus, the only source is chipset. I will try reinstalling different versions of driver later (within the month, probably) , and let you know. 

HP Recommended

Also, when i disassembled the fan and heatsink, i have found, that the processor is cooled with HEATPIPE, while chipset is not! (it is also seen in the guide) : for my laptop, the heat from chipset is removed with a peace of Aluminium, which is much worser heatconductor (part 3 on LEFT pictures), than heatpipe. For AMD processors the chipset is also covered with heatpipe.heatsink2.jpg

heatsink3.jpg

It seems to me, that chipset crystal has degraded because of constant overheating, cause now the situation is worse, compared to after buy.

Maybe, it worse just to **bleep** HP engineers for stupid solutions? :smileyindifferent: actually, my second laptop HP 4530s, from which i'm writing this post, would be PERFECT, if , again, HP engineers supplyed it not with the SLOWEST HDD in world (Hitachi HTS547564A9E384 (596 Gb) ), reading 200 kbytes per second at start-up!!! It is fact, that HDD in CQ61 laptop, which is almost 4 years old,  is 3 times faster at the hardest tasks (650 kbytes per second at start-up!!!).

Sorry for emotions, it's my pain, that simple mistakes (or SPECIAL ??) of engineers make good computers bad.

HP Recommended

Hello again!

The question of why the notebooks seem to run hotter as they "age" is something I've often been curious about myself.  I have personally experienced the issue on my (non-HP) notebooks throughout the years.  Even after cleaning the vents, the fans, replacing thermal paste, and ensuring the notebook is spotless on the inside it still runs quite hot.  

Another possible cause is the battery.  As the battery ages and begins to no longer properly charge it can begin to warm up more and more.  This may be part of your problem as 1.5 hours is most likely not the length of time the battery is supposed to last.  If you're using the notebook on AC power try removing the battery and seeing if that affects the temperature.  I had to do this on my own notebook recently and it has run slightly cooler ever since.

It is generally a good idea to be using the latest BIOS.  Like all software sometimes there are issues with BIOS updates but these are very rare.  The BIOS does have some control over the fans/cooling system so sometimes changes are made to make the cooling more efficient.

I hope this helps!

EDIT:  I see that you posted some pictures.  Pictures take up to 24 hours to show up on this site.  You may want to upload them to another site such as IMGUR as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

With these images I just wanted to illustrate the solution of Engineers, that put one of the hottest parts (chipset) to the opposite end of motherboard, far away from fan and blowing holes, and covered it with a simple peace of Aluminium, without any screws to provide a good contact, with peace of thermal conductive foam, which a had to change with 1! mm thick peace of Indium !!

HP Recommended

same problem it becom more serious by mts internet data card .....i shall going to consumor form .

HP Recommended

Obviously, a problem with the DM1.  I have a 4010US and it just started. It works when I just turn it on. After 10-20 min the KBD stops responding EXCEPT for the WiFi key - so I know the KBD works. If I plug in a USB KBD, that works. Probably the KBD controller, which is on the MB and not in the KBD. TRASH.................

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.