Question

Honor Student
dzyd1
Message 1 of 11 (4,247 Views)

help with SSD install dv7

i have a dv7t quad with a 750 sata on the way to me right now and i have a 120 Vertex 3 6g SSD that i want to install as the primary.

i have also ordered the cable from newnodeUS

the question i have is what is the best way to get the os onto the ssd?

this will be a fresh pc with a new ssd. 

i plan to swap the ssd into the drive holding the sata and move that one to the open bay.

how can i get the os woking on the ssd??

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 11 (4,237 Views)

Re: help with SSD install dv7

Hi,

To make this simpler, we treat this work in 2 parts

1. Replace primary HDD with SSD: Please follow these links:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/192930/how_to_upgrade_your_laptops_hard_drive_to_an_ssd.html

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Upgrading-Your-Notebook-Hard-Drive-To-An-SSD-A-HowTo/

2. Install 2nd HDD (using the original HDD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZgiX-pzdL8

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 3 of 11 (4,236 Views)

dzyd1 wrote:

i have a dv7t quad with a 750 sata on the way to me right now and i have a 120 Vertex 3 6g SSD that i want to install as the primary.

i have also ordered the cable from newnodeUS

the question i have is what is the best way to get the os onto the ssd?

this will be a fresh pc with a new ssd. 

i plan to swap the ssd into the drive holding the sata and move that one to the open bay.

how can i get the os woking on the ssd??

Hi,

The original hard drive is too big so cloning the system partition may not work well. I suggest to create a list of all hardware (ethernet, wifi, vga, sound, webcam, card reader etc.) in the laptop (because of drivers), then install the SSD in and install a fresh copy of the original operating system using the product key from the bottom of the laptop (download, borrow, etc. an installation disk of the system). Don't activate the system at the end of the install, choose later and when the activation message comes up, activate it by the automated phone system. Missing drivers can be downloaded from the HP software website but I recommend to install a propriate graphics driver (it's the latest one) from the vga manufacturer website. It worked for me many times..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
dzyd1
Message 4 of 11 (4,218 Views)

good stuff.

im assuming HP will not be including an install disc. i think i can get one from work, but do you any legit sites to download a copy?

also, why do the activation later by phone??

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 5 of 11 (4,214 Views)

dzyd1 wrote:

good stuff.

im assuming HP will not be including an install disc. i think i can get one from work, but do you any legit sites to download a copy?

also, why do the activation later by phone??

I have downloaded it from torrents. I know it's not much legal but it's just for myself. You need the disk with MBR troubles etc. so why should we buy a new licence when a system is already in it??:smileyhappy:

I don't think it will let you activate it online. I always wait for the message and then call the 0800.. number for free..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
dzyd1
Message 6 of 11 (4,208 Views)

one last question. 

i am receiving the pc tomorrow.

should i even bother powering it on, or should i just install the ssd before i even power it up for the first time?

Provost
banhien
Message 7 of 11 (4,206 Views)

Hi,

Just power it on to make sure it works first otherwise we don't know where to "shoot".

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 8 of 11 (4,204 Views)

dzyd1 wrote:

one last question. 

i am receiving the pc tomorrow.

should i even bother powering it on, or should i just install the ssd before i even power it up for the first time?

I would start it with the original hard drive first. You will need to download some drivers (wifi, audio etc..) so make sure that you know the right hardware in the laptop. Boot up, and check the hw in the Device Manager..

Honor Student
dzyd1
Message 9 of 11 (4,189 Views)

got eveything working good except i lost the beats software.

is there anywhere to download this?

Provost
banhien
Message 10 of 11 (4,186 Views)

Hi,

Please try these:

1. Beats software: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47001-47500/sp47393.exe

2. Short cut (if you wish): ftp://15.192.45.139/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50681.exe

Regards.

BH
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation