Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all.

I'm going to update my HP Probook 430 G1 with a 512 gB SSD (actually is 512 HDD with W7 professional 64); many SSD manufactures' websites show their products compatibility with my laptop, but HP user's manual says that capacity of SSD is 128gB. Chatting with HP support was not useful. Can anyone help me: can I upgrade with 512gB SDD? I have to upgrade storage AHCI divers or chipset?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The 128 gig 2.5 inch SSD was just the biggest HP offered to sell you from the factory. If your laptop already has a 2.5 inch SATA drive (some of them operate entirely off small mSATA mSSD drives) then you can replace it with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD of any size on the market. You will not have to adjust anything in the BIOS. Your best upgrade path is to clone the existing drive to the SSD. This should be easy since they will be very close to the same size. You will need a usb to SATA adapter but you will likely want to get one ayway to keep using the original HDD as external storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun-Converter-Adapter-Cable-Drive/dp/B008ASF5MC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14...

I use Acronis 2014 Home Edition but there are several other cloning solutions out there, some of them open source (free). Cloning Windows 7 across 2 hard drives of the same size is about the easiest clone you will find.

Post back if you need more help. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The 128 gig 2.5 inch SSD was just the biggest HP offered to sell you from the factory. If your laptop already has a 2.5 inch SATA drive (some of them operate entirely off small mSATA mSSD drives) then you can replace it with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD of any size on the market. You will not have to adjust anything in the BIOS. Your best upgrade path is to clone the existing drive to the SSD. This should be easy since they will be very close to the same size. You will need a usb to SATA adapter but you will likely want to get one ayway to keep using the original HDD as external storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun-Converter-Adapter-Cable-Drive/dp/B008ASF5MC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14...

I use Acronis 2014 Home Edition but there are several other cloning solutions out there, some of them open source (free). Cloning Windows 7 across 2 hard drives of the same size is about the easiest clone you will find.

Post back if you need more help. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer.

Finally someone clear, coincise! 

Bye

HP Recommended

I tried your exact method to upgrade my hp 128gb ssd to a sandisk ultra II and was unable to boot. "please insert bootable drive" I have done this same upgrade with other laptops, no failures.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.