Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I want to enjoy the speed of my external harddisk... so for that i need usb 3.0 port.

BUT my HP g6 1321TU has only usb 2.0 ports.

is it possible to upgrade sub port 2.0 to 3.0.

OR

i use any usb 3.0 adapters....

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

No, you need new motherboard UNLESS you wish to try something like this (given your machine has Express card slot):

http://www.enterplayment.com/adapter-express-card34-usb-30-p-1544084.html?currency=AUD

Please note: This may not work as you thought. - Been there, tried that.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Your best option to upgrade to usb 3.0 is a PCI Express Card 54, if your laptop has one. Many HP entertainment laptos came with a little remote that tuck in the left side of the laptop. That spot for the remote is a PCI Express Card 54 slot. This slot will work with PCI Express Card 54 and 34 cards, but you may want to by a stabilizer to help hold a 34 millimeter card. A PCI Express card 54 could give you a flush mount or almost flush mount with 2 usb 3.0 ports. I have also seen some Express Card 34 with 1 usb 3.0 port that will give you a flush mount.

As for the bad, some people complain that they have to use the external cable to get more power from a usb 2.0 port. This will depend if you have 1 or 2 ports in use and what you plug in the usb 3.0 ports. Others complain that it is not perfectly flush. Get over it. Also be aware that the drivers will come on a mini DVD if you have a slot load DVD drive. You may want to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website put on a DVD-R, USB 2.0 flash drive, Hard Drive, etc. The drivers from the manufacturer's website may also contain many bug fixes. Other complain these are thicker than stand cards or too thick to be removed frequently. Read the reviews before buying.

Examples:

StarTech.com 2-Port Flush Mount ExpressCard 54mm SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card Adapter (ECUSB3S254F)

HDE 2 Port USB 3.0 54mm Express Card

New - SIIG 1-port ExpressCard USB Adapter - GV2621

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In short, no! The usb controller is part of the motherboard, and the connectors that show thru the outside are dependent on the controller. Changing the connector will not do anything useful. The daughter card on the opposite side of the laptop with usb ports (to my knowledge) does not have an independent usb controller. It connect to the motherboard and the mother boards' usb controller via a cable. Modern computers have the usb controller built into the chip set (the heart of the motherboard). The exception to this may be some desktop motherboards with a ridicules number of usb ports and usb headers (for front mount usb ports) that use additional usb controllers to control the extra ports.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is helpful, please mark as solved and kudos. This helps others in there search.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.