Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-6153eo
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hello everyone.

im trying to beath new air into my old laptop so i can use it for gaming while i travel ones again.
the reason why im here is because i dont know if a 3party (EXP GDC Beast) will work on my computer with the mpcie slot?
i also know that the mpcie slot ( wifi card slot inside the pc) might be locked for some odd reason.

example. i have tried replace my old wifi card with a new one that supported 5Ghz and my computer told me to remove the new wifi card and refused to boot.

so my question is:

is it possable to bypass this warning?

will the mPCIe port work with other modules aside from wifi cards?

i have a HP Pavilion dv6-6153eo with W7 64bit

Best regards DKL2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No that slot is for a single purpose (wifi). It has no connection to the display so there is no way to install any kind of video card in there and even if there were it is equivalent to a 1x pci-e slot so it is not capable of carrying enough bandwidth to where the quality would exceed the original video card in the laptop. I think these external video card bays for laptops are modern snake oil. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

No that slot is for a single purpose (wifi). It has no connection to the display so there is no way to install any kind of video card in there and even if there were it is equivalent to a 1x pci-e slot so it is not capable of carrying enough bandwidth to where the quality would exceed the original video card in the laptop. I think these external video card bays for laptops are modern snake oil. 

HP Recommended

Yes u can use this slot. But ur video will now run threw ur Graphics card. I've seen 1.2 ghz dual core run games like overwatch at over 80fps on a gtx 1070. This will solve all ur problems. Its amazing all the new tech that is Ravi ing the old tech.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.