Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

my daughter just purchased a 15-r015dx and it has 4mg ram.  it says there are 2 slots available  and it uses ddr3 but i am trying to figure out how much memory it can be upgraded to, and what type.  I tried to run the memory configuration but i can't find this model.

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI

The Notebook Supports up to 8 GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz)  system RAM in the following configurations:

8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2)
6144-MB total system memory (4096×1 + 2048×1)
4096-MB total system memory (4096×1) or (2048×2)
2048-MB total system memory (2048×1)
Hope this helps.

***** Click the Thumbs UP (Like) on the Right to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

HI

The Notebook Supports up to 8 GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz)  system RAM in the following configurations:

8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2)
6144-MB total system memory (4096×1 + 2048×1)
4096-MB total system memory (4096×1) or (2048×2)
2048-MB total system memory (2048×1)
Hope this helps.

***** Click the Thumbs UP (Like) on the Right to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

HP Recommended

This is one of the newer series of HP 15 laptops that are sold at attractive prices but not upgradeable as a practical matter. There is no easy access to the memory and hard drive slots. Here is the Manual:

Manual

Page 65. And there is only a single RAM slot so you have to throw away the 4 gig module to upgrade to 8. You have to remove the motherboard to get to the single RAM slot. 

Don't shoot the messenger just be glad you got the whole story before you went out and bought a memory module. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

according to product specs there are 2 slots 

Memory 4GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM) Memory Slots 2 user accessible

and being it is 64 bit i figured it would upgradeable to 16gb

HP Recommended

The 15-r015dx Can support up to 8GB of RAM. There are specific chipsets for that specific series:

• 8GB of RAM: 693374-001
  • 4GB of RAM: 691740-001
  • 2GB of RAM: 691739-001
HP Recommended

Yes it can support 8 gigs but only as an 8 gig single module. Again, don't shoot the messenger. Before you buy additional memory figure out how you are going to access the memory slot. It is not as simple as removing one screw and a plastic door on these models. 

HP Recommended

I bought this model last night from Best Buy.  I had some extra memory laying around at work so I cracked it open to change it out.  Thank you to whomever posted the PDF.  That was helpful.  It was EXTREMELY painful to get to where I could add memory.  There has been some confusion in this thread on if this machine has one or two memory slots.  I can confirm the Intel version has TWO.  I put in 2 4GB sticks and the laptop is now running with 8GB.  The AMD version has one slot.  The PDF mentioned this as well.

So again, the Intel version has TWO slots.  The AMD version has ONE slot.

Thanks!

Gary Godsoe

Network Operations Manager

National FFA Organization

HP Recommended

I stand corrected but the basic message is sound.....these are not laptops that allow most end users to upgrade memory or hard drive or anything else really; a closed system. 

HP Recommended

I put 8 GB in each slot  = 16 GB & this worked fine & was really fast

HP Recommended

ggodsoe,

Do you still have the link to the PDF?  If so, can you provide the link?
Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.