replacing HDD for dv6 2150 (92 Views)
Honor Student
mrsweffy
Message 1 of 4 (92 Views)

replacing HDD for dv6 2150

I have a dv6 2150ca out of warranty.  The current toshiba mk5056gsyy HDD is toasted and needs to be replaced.   I would like to install the Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive (the tech specs match the fried toshiba).

I've read that HP has a proprietary bracket for the current factory installed HDD.  I need to know if the replacement WD Scorpio Black model listed above will fit this bracket.   I've got a great price and free shipping so any quick info would be greatly appreciated

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (82 Views)

Re: replacing HDD for dv6 2150

Hi,

You can just remove the HDD connector ( and caddy )from the old drive and attach it to the new one - it's shown as Part 1 on Page 54 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Note:  Your old drive is listed as 500Gb and the new one at 320Gb - this can cause problems if you intend to use a set of Recovery Discs to reinstall the OS on the new drive as the discs often have problems reinstalling on a HDD smaller than the one originally shipped.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
mrsweffy
Message 3 of 4 (77 Views)

Thank you very much... I pasted the wrong drive... the one that I am replacing it with is the 500 gb model not the 320.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 4 (74 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation