Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@laptopfreek0 wrote:

This feature should never have been stripped out of the BIOS in the first place. And I say stripped out because that is what has happened. I have ancient computers that didn't even have msata ports that allowed you to choose boot order. While we are at it, why in the world was the option for toggling the video cards in the bios removed? The only thing that truly sucks about this computer is their truly terrible bios.

I have just found out how to bypass boot from HDD and boot from mSATA instead. 

I assume that you have installed Windows on mSATA. Now you have to install a boot loader called Plop onto the hard drive. I used a usb SATA docking station to connect the hard drive to my other laptop.

Then download an app called BootICE:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Bootice.shtml

Run the app and choose the HDD on the first tab called "Physical Disk" and click on "Process MBR". It will give you list of boot loader to install. Choose Plop and install it. Install the HDD back to the laptop and boot up. Now it will start into the boot loader. To get to the mSATA press ctrl+alt+del and then "q" (quick boot) at startup. This will give you list of hard drives and partitions such as HDA Partition 1, HDA Partition 2.. HDB Partition 1..

The mSATA is under HDB Partition 1 so choose this and it should go straight into Windows on the mSATA SSD.

I haven't figured out how to change the default HD0-0 to the HDB Partition 1. I can change the device to HDB but can't change the partition..

Credit to Jamie: http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281826-hp-envy-6-msata-ssd-only-boots-when-hdd-physicall...

edit: To set mSATA to boot from the Plop menu go to "profile", then "edit label" and change the default name to Windows or anything you want. Then go to "linked partitions" choose HDB Partition 1 and confirm by pressing "B" (boot). Now it's done so press esc until you get the main menu. Choose Windows and it should start booting up into Windows with the HDD completely blank and ready to use as a storage.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Hi,

I followed your instructions to install and configure the Plop loader to load windows 8.1. But when i choose to boot black screen appears. Can you help me configure it correctly?

Thanks

Faisal

HP Recommended

@Faisal-Envyj171 wrote:

Hi,

I followed your instructions to install and configure the Plop loader to load windows 8.1. But when i choose to boot black screen appears. Can you help me configure it correctly?

Thanks

Faisal

So the bootloader is installed but the system won't boot, am I correct? It means that a wrong partition is set as the boot one. 

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with an ENVY-6 : mSATA with Win7 installed, and a new empty HDD intended for data storage. The standard BIOS tries to boot from the HDD, with no option to boot from the mSATA. Stupid.

I have tried almost the same thing as you did, but using Easybcd as th bootloader. Unfortunately it did not work.

I hace received some help from the French HP forum (Feyd Rautha). leading to your post.

I have followed your solution, and it worked fine up to before your "edit" : I can boot from the mSATA using the "q" command of Plop, and selecting HDB-Partition 1 from list : this works just fine.

But I cannot create a default profile which will do this automatically.

Can you describe more precisely how to do this ?

In your text you modify only the profile, but there might be modifications in the partitions, or elsewhere ?

Thanks,

Jerome.

HP Recommended

@SuperJG wrote:

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with an ENVY-6 : mSATA with Win7 installed, and a new empty HDD intended for data storage. The standard BIOS tries to boot from the HDD, with no option to boot from the mSATA. Stupid.

I have tried almost the same thing as you did, but using Easybcd as th bootloader. Unfortunately it did not work.

I hace received some help from the French HP forum (Feyd Rautha). leading to your post.

I have followed your solution, and it worked fine up to before your "edit" : I can boot from the mSATA using the "q" command of Plop, and selecting HDB-Partition 1 from list : this works just fine.

But I cannot create a default profile which will do this automatically.

Can you describe more precisely how to do this ?

In your text you modify only the profile, but there might be modifications in the partitions, or elsewhere ?

Thanks,

Jerome.

I have sold the laptop so can't tell you exactly how but you have to link the mSATA permanently for boot. Have you done this?

Then go to "linked partitions" choose HDB Partition 1 and confirm by pressing "B" (boot). Now it's done so press esc until you get the main menu. 

HP Recommended

For information, I have given up...

But I have chosen to use the mSATA as a cache with Intel RApid Storage technology, and this works just fine !

I have also activated Intel Rapid Start technology, so the boot is very fast (3 seconds).

I have explained in details, but in french, how to do it, but there are plenty of explanations (just google about Intel technologies).

The problem is that the HP BIOS does not provide any possibilty to choose the boot drive or SATA RAid Mode, so you are blocked with the factory settings.

With this Intel RApid Storage technology, you just forget about installing the system on the mSATA, which is not possible (unless you are lucky with somme 3rd party booloeader).

Just install Windows on the HDD, using an Original Windows ISO image (see Here) and not your HP restore DVDs. You will use your original codes : it works just fine if you choose the corresponding ISO image.

Then activate your Intel cache and rapid start,and you are done.

I think that this will work whatever the initial config is : mSATA alone, or HDD alone, or ebven Hybrid.

It will also probably work for Envy 6 like mine, or other HP Envy machines.

Good luck !

HP Recommended

For information, I have given up...

But I have chosen to use the mSATA as a cache with Intel RApid Storage technology, and this works just fine !

I have also activated Intel Rapid Start technology, so the boot is very fast (3 seconds).

I have explained in details, but in french, how to do it, but there are plenty of explanations (just google about Intel technologies).

The problem is that the HP BIOS does not provide any possibilty to choose the boot drive or SATA RAid Mode, so you are blocked with the factory settings.

With this Intel RApid Storage technology, you just forget about installing the system on the mSATA, which is not possible (unless you are lucky with somme 3rd party booloader).

Just install Windows on the HDD, using an Original Windows ISO image (see Here) and not your HP restore DVDs. You will use your original codes : it works just fine if you choose the corresponding ISO image.

Then activate your Intel cache and rapid start,and you are done.

I think that this will work whatever the initial config is : mSATA alone, or HDD alone, or ebven Hybrid.

It will also probably work for Envy 6 like mine, or other HP Envy machines.

Good luck !

HP Recommended

I'm going to do a proper manual how to do it soon I get a laptop from HP. Don't give up yet.:)

HP Recommended

I only can choose tha last 2 options, Ultra SO and Wintows NT, I can't choose Plop Boot in Process MBR. The current MBR type is Unknown. If Ichoose the mSata in Physical Disk label I can choose all options, and the current MBR type is Windows NT 6.x

I have bought a HP Envy 15-J131ES and I've installed a 120 mb mSata Kingston.

HP Recommended

@DuffmanCC wrote:

I only can choose tha last 2 options, Ultra SO and Wintows NT, I can't choose Plop Boot in Process MBR. The current MBR type is Unknown. If Ichoose the mSata in Physical Disk label I can choose all options, and the current MBR type is Windows NT 6.x

I have bought a HP Envy 15-J131ES and I've installed a 120 mb mSata Kingston.

That's a Windows 8.1 laptop with UEFI. I have no idea how that works. I hate Windows 8 so cannot help you.:)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.