Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a hp elitebook 8740w
I changed my old hd with an ssd.

how can I keep the partition with HP_TOOLS?

I have already tried
I used the SSD software for migration - Perfect copy, the operating system works, copy the HP TOOLS partition, but does not start with f11
I used "migrated easy" - perfect, the operating system works, copy the HP TOOLS partition, but does not start with f11
I using the shell "Macrium Reflect" - perfect copy, the operating system works, copy the HP TOOLS partition, but does not start with f11.

is there a way to clone the HP TOOLS partition and make it work with f11 at startup?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@hpSuperwork wrote:

i have alredy made the recovery dvd...but i havent' here with me. there is an other method? 

if i use windows dvd for intall Os directly on new hd ssd, can i download hp sowtware? (es. hp assistant?)

Perfect, now you can simply install the ssd and run the disks. Set the optical drive in the BIOS as the first boot and reboot, it will start the recovery without F11 etc..

Yes, I actually prefer a clean install of Windows  instead of using the recovery disks. It means a pure brand new system and I can install anything (from HP or anywhere else) I want because applications like HP Support Assistant do more harm than good. However, I still use the HP Wireless Assistant. Make sure you have got all necessary drivers backed up (it's in a folder called SWSETUP) or at least you know what actual device it is and download the drivers later from the HP laptop home website. 

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@hpSuperwork wrote:

I have a hp elitebook 8740w
I changed my old hd with an ssd.

how can I keep the partition with HP_RECOVERY?

I have already tried
I used the SSD software for migration - Perfect copy, the operating system works, copy the HP RECOVERY partition, but does not start with f11
I used "migrated easy" - perfect, the operating system works, copy the HP RECOVERY partition, but does not start with f11
I using the shell "Macrium Reflect" - perfect copy, the operating system works, copy the HP RECOVERY partition, but does not start with f11.

is there a way to clone the HP RECOVERY partition and make it work with f11 at startup?

thanks

I think you have to create the HP_TOOLS partition. Download and install this: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?spf_p.tpst=swdMain&s...

Select the hard drive when installing or install it to a usb flash drive but it MUST be plugged in when you want to perform the recovery.

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

first try:

1) I cloned the disk hdclone. 1:1 copy. The partition tools hd is present, but not working with f11 at startup. After I installed the file from your link - reboot - f11 - windows boot manager - "windows fil to start. etc. ... the boot selection faild because a required device is inacessible" (see the 1st picture). Do not start the restore the factory settings.
The partitions in Computer Management \ Disk Management are (I only have a ssd disk on my PC) system / (C) / HP_Recovery / HP_TOOLS (E) while managing resources I see only two drives C: and E:. (see the 2nd picture).windows boot manager

Disk Management

HP Recommended

2nd try:

if I clone just the operating system (C), and after I install the file from your link, it might work?
I want to keep this partition to restore the factory settings on the new ssd. I do not want to use each time the dvd to format the pc. The hp partition for restore the factory setting is very useful and clean method.

HP Recommended

@hpSuperwork wrote:

2nd try:

if I clone just the operating system (C), and after I install the file from your link, it might work?
I want to keep this partition to restore the factory settings on the new ssd. I do not want to use each time the dvd to format the pc. The hp partition for restore the factory setting is very useful and clean method.

Well, the Recovery partition must be on the hard drive if you want to do a factory reset. It won't work with only the C: drive and the HP_TOOLS. I have heard that if you select the Recovery partition as the active one and reboot then it should go straight to the Recovery Manager and perform the recovery but I haven't tried that. Have you tried to create the recovery disks? You should create the recovery disks at least for the first factory reset on the ssd and then it should work fine over F11.

HP Recommended

my properties:

1st choice: have a ssd with a 1:1 copy of the old hd. Then: OS + the recovery partition hp (original). If I want to format i just use f11! No discs or other. (however, for safety I'll do well as a dvd recovery)

2nd choise: clone the operating system cleanly on the ssd.
If I plan to format: 1) I format the ssd with the dedicated program, 2) re-install the old original hd hp in the pc 3) i clone the hd in the SSD formatted.

This version is uncomfortable for me. Should I always have with me the old hd for safety.

I could replace the cloning operation with recovery DVD, in this case.

3rd choice:  a clean installation of os with the windows dvd

i install directly the OS on ssd.  To restore the system I will use the windows dvd. In this case, however, i lose the native program of my pc.

which one is better? i want, if possible, use the 1st choice.

In any case, what is the best method to create a recovery cd?
if I mount the ssd empty, start the pc without os, and using the dvd recovery, would it work?

subsequently I have the recovery partition on the SSD?

HP Recommended

@hpSuperwork wrote:

my properties:

1st choice: have a ssd with a 1:1 copy of the old hd. Then: OS + the recovery partition hp (original). If I want to format i just use f11! No discs or other. (however, for safety I'll do well as a dvd recovery)

2nd choise: clone the operating system cleanly on the ssd.
If I plan to format: 1) I format the ssd with the dedicated program, 2) re-install the old original hd hp in the pc 3) i clone the hd in the SSD formatted.

This version is uncomfortable for me. Should I always have with me the old hd for safety.

I could replace the cloning operation with recovery DVD, in this case.

3rd choice:  a clean installation of os with the windows dvd

i install directly the OS on ssd.  To restore the system I will use the windows dvd. In this case, however, i lose the native program of my pc.

which one is better? i want, if possible, use the 1st choice.

In any case, what is the best method to create a recovery cd?
if I mount the ssd empty, start the pc without os, and using the dvd recovery, would it work?

subsequently I have the recovery partition on the SSD?

Put the old hard drive back into the laptop and install or run the HP Recovery Manager (I think you can actually create the recovery DVDs with F11 and instead of restore the system select create the recovery disks or something like that. Then use the recovery disks on the SSD. The recovery procedure will recreate the same pre-installed system on the SSD as on the the hard drive. It's the fastest way how to migrate the system to a new drive. Don't clone or copy anything because it's not necessary.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867124

HP Recommended

little problem:

on the original hp hd

i haven't the recovery manager. i have tryed to serch, but there'isn't.

but:

i have the partition HP_tools, and if reboot and i use f11, the process of restoring the factory settings work perfectly.

HP Recommended

i have alredy made the recovery dvd...but i havent' here with me. there is an other method? 

if i use windows dvd for intall Os directly on new hd ssd, can i download hp sowtware? (es. hp assistant?)

HP Recommended

@hpSuperwork wrote:

Perfect, now you can simply install the ssd and run the disks. Set the optical drive in the BIOS as the first boot and reboot, it will start the recovery without F11 etc..

Yes, I actually prefer a clean install of Windows  instead of using the recovery disks. It means a pure brand new system and I can install anything (from HP or anywhere else) I want because applications like HP Support Assistant do more harm than good. However, I still use the HP Wireless Assistant. Make sure you have got all necessary drivers backed up (it's in a folder called SWSETUP) or at least you know what actual device it is and download the drivers later from the HP laptop home website. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.