Re: ssd (456 Views)
Top Student
FlagAmerica
Message 1 of 14 (494 Views)

I have a new HP DV6-6173CL Pavilion I would like to put a SSD Drive intoI wish to replace the 1TB hard drive with the SSD 500GBIs this possible and how do I determine the BEST SSD model etc to go forAlso how do i do the switchI've watched videos and read about the procedure but I'm sure there are some "Tricks" which will make the process go smoothly

Thanks, FlagAmerica

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 14 (488 Views)

Re: ssd

[ Edited ]

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion%20dv6-6173cl&Cat=RAM

Click the box in the link to list SSD's from Crucial.

The new one s are SATA 3 now which are backwards compatible with SATA 2 (your laptop).

Stick with a good brand name and don't buy from ebay as many of those are older models which have reliability problems.

Crucial also supplies a transfer kit (a small cost) to move everything over to your new drive. This is just one way, you can reinstall W7 manually and load all the drivers yourself, you will have to save all your personal items to reload back onto your new SSD.

The HP recovery disc's should work, but many have had problems.

You can use the hard drive caddy that is in the dv6 now, the one from you old drive will fit.

Keep in mind your 1 TB drive may be thicker and the hard drive caddy may not work, so you might have to purchase a new caddy.

The adpater kit that Crucial provides is so you can use it in a desk top, so it does not apply to you.

Have you opened up a laptop before, do you need instructions for this ?

Also, I don't know how old your machine is, the 500 GB SSD's are pricey, it may be better just to buy a new machine with an SSD already installed.

Top Student
FlagAmerica
Message 3 of 14 (484 Views)

Thanks for the post.  I'm 74 Yrs old and have played with computers for a long time but really have no skills.  I've been primarily a desk top guy and have always been frustrated with laptops.  I just helped, and to the extent my knowlege allowed, my grandson build a gamers desktop and this is my first exposure to SSDs.  He & I are both blown away buy the quickness you find with SSDs and of program boot up and stuff. I've torn a couple of laptops apart but usually find the problem to be more then is cost effective to fix.  Mother board etc.  have replaced a couple laptop HD, batteries etc.  Not much of a resume, but still stimulated by learning.  Any help will be appreciated.  This is my first attempt at posting on a support community site and enjoy what I see so far. Thank, Thanks, Thanks, Flagamerica.  I primarily purchase through Newegg, but us others geeks, amazon j&r, tiger, etc.  I stay away from ebay as I do not have the knowledge to diferentiate good from bad.

Top Student
FlagAmerica
Message 4 of 14 (475 Views)

Computer only couple months old.  Who sells Crucial m4 512 GB?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 14 (473 Views)

You may buy direct from Crucial or Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148444

I will get back to you tomorrow with some more information.

With out checking the dv6 does not have a 1 TB drive, but rather twin 500 GB hard drives.

With that said the Crucial drive will mount in using the dv6 hard drive caddy.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 14 (458 Views)

First off I have to correct myself, your dv6 has only one hard drive that is 1 TB and not two 500 GB drives.

I had a look at the HP Video services library and it looks like you can use the hard drive caddy for the SSD. Even though it's deeper, the screw holes are in a standard position so they look like they will line up with the holes on the SSD.

Here is the link to the video library and a screen shot on how to navigate to your model.

You must be signed in first to the forum to access the library.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/default.htm?lang=en&cc=US&hpappid=psml

dv6.PNG

Navigate to "Hard Disc Drive" and then to "Hard Disc Drive Rail Assembly" in the left column for the videos in that order.

Give the videos time to load, it can take a while.

Here is your maintenance and service guide too.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252.pdf Go to pages 62 and 63.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 7 of 14 (456 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ounce you have the SSD installed, it will come with nothing on it, this is referred to as "Unallocated Space"

There are a number of options to reinstall the OS and I will list them, but I will let you choose which one you want and I will the  give specific instructions on how to go about it.

1) Use a retail version of W7 and use your activation key from the bottom of the notebook to activate Windows. No money has to be spent here as there is a place to download W7.

This is the cleanest method, but the most time consuming as all the drivers will have to be physically installed.

2) Create a set of HP recovery discs now that can be used later to install the OS. This installs the HP version of W7 along with all its applications and bloat ware. There is no guarantee this will work because the SSD is not purchased from HP. Sometimes this will work and sometimes it won't.

3) Go to "Backup and Restore" in the control panel. In the left column find "Create A System Repair Disc" and "Create A System Image". These can be used to restore the OS at the time of creation, the system repair disc is bootable and that is used first to allow you to select the option to use your system image disc's to reinstall the OS.

These may not work as you are down sizing from 1 TB to 500 GB, it's a bit of a gamble.

4) Macrium Reflect is another disc imaging system that will work, but I find it a bit complicated as there are too many steps, but here it is anyway. Cheryl here likes this one and if you want to use it, I will see if she can give you some pointers if you run into problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cRq5SuFpY

http://www.filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/

I find downloading it from File Hippo is easiest.

You can use any of the methods I have listed, you're not going to hurt anything if one of them fails, you just start over. Personally I like number "1".

I all cases use a good brand of DVD like Sony, and do not use rewritable disc's.

Also, click on "Computer" and in there you will see a folder named SwSetup, burn that whole folder to DVD, you may need it later.

Top Student
FlagAmerica
Message 8 of 14 (452 Views)

Thanks so much for the help!  Is there anyway I can make a contibution to you or your favorite site or charity?  My fisrt experience with "Support Forums" has been fun and rewarding, thanks to you.  Thank You, Ray

I mean it about the donation.  I recognize help when I see it and like to reward same.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 9 of 14 (449 Views)

[ Edited ]

You don't have to give a donation, that's fine, if you want to do something you can kudos my answerer's :smileyhappy: Some threads go on for 4 or 5 pages... :smileysurprised:

HP and Microsoft give people tools to get them selves into trouble so at times the thread can become quite lengthy.

Here are some more links that you may find useful.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

and free download links to W7, if you want to go that route.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

If you do a clean install, install it as a trial and when it's up and running activate it by right clicking on "Computer"

and going to "properties". At the bottom of that page find "Change Product Key" click on that and enter your key.

Install your chipset driver first after it has been activated.

For this to work you must install the exact same version of W7 that it was shipped with.

You may want to try using your HP restore discs first as that would be the easiest.

Let me know how it goes if you have a chance, and if you have any questions please feel free.

This is me here.

Jeff is my real name

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Cafe-and-Lounge/faces-behind-the-avatars/td-p/287279/page/2

Massage 13 :smileyvery-happy:

Top Student
FlagAmerica
Message 10 of 14 (443 Views)

I know this is CRAZY but I canot find the "KUDOS" button.  I read about it when I first tried "support Forum" but do not know where to go.  Ray

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation