Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp g72 m350 i3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received two 4 gb memoy chips and they would not work.  Verifed that they were seen by the system but system would not boot.   Removed and tried just one,  same issue.  Put back the two 2gb and it worked.   It seems unlikely that both are bad.  

This unit should recognize and work with 8gb or with one 4gb chip, as it is a 64bit using intel i3 and is running win10 and doing pretty well with 4gb but had the opportunity to upgrade and did not expect this issue.     Replacement chips were from a list including the 
G72 and ar 4gb ddr3 pc3-10600 sodimm/1333mhz  which matches the 2gb in use.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update on this issue.   It is not resolved but I decided to try the memory in another HP using an AMD processor that was older and a little slower but it accepted the memory and is working fine in that unit.   Interesting is that unit is NOT listed as being able to accept the additonal memory.   

The issue is clearly with that individual unit and it appears that others have had a similar event.   So it apparently is isolated to this version of the G72. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Upgrading from the memory module specifications is always a bit of a crap shoot.

I suggest that you return the modules.

Purchase memory modules that are guaranteed to work by the vendor and memory manufacturer. That takes the gamble out of the purchase.

If the modules don't work the vendor or manufacturer who guaranteed them  is obligated to replace them.

Please identify your notebook with its complete product name or product number. You have only used a partial means of identification. That is not specific enough for when you request help here in the forum.

- see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the complete model number and\or product number.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have a HP G72t-200 CTO laptop and am trying to upgrade fro 4 gb tp 8 gb of ram. I purchased 2 Kingston KAC-MEMKL/4G modules. When i installed them, the laptop would not boot. i replaced the original modules and it works fine. I am running Windows 10 but feel I need the additional ram. I have tried to find Hp part numbers and correct vendor part numbers but HP support pages makes it almost impossible. Can anyone tell me what two 4 gb modules to use so my laptop will work?

HP Recommended

HP g72t-200   WJ744AV    Model and ID   I think this was a model used by Best Buy as a special but is listed by HP

Windows 10    Core I3   M350   2.27 ghz  64 bit      Based on the information I had it should be ok.  I have arranged for return

the memory was supposedly HP certified   marked as made by A-Tech and I have not used that brand before

The odds of both being bad is unlikely unless the complete batch was affected or something in the system is stopping the recognition of the unit. 

HP Recommended

The thing that supprised me was that my laptop ram is listed as 256 X 64 or 512 X 64. Most ram I have seen is X 2 or etc.

HP Recommended

Update on this issue.   It is not resolved but I decided to try the memory in another HP using an AMD processor that was older and a little slower but it accepted the memory and is working fine in that unit.   Interesting is that unit is NOT listed as being able to accept the additonal memory.   

The issue is clearly with that individual unit and it appears that others have had a similar event.   So it apparently is isolated to this version of the G72. 

HP Recommended

I got the same issue, but different chip-set. 1333 Mhz ProBook 5330m had only one 4G SODIMM installed. I went to buy another and tired for some time to get the BIOS to recognize the other, Slot 1, but failed many times.

Then, I had a friend post me this: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/fix-laptop-memory-slot-failure/ and I tried once more. The other slot had been loose and the memory unit not properly installed, yet I had it put in and out many times.

Then I went for one last time and really pushed the cards into the slots as deep as they went and pressed them under the latches and heureka! Everything worked!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.