Question

Tutor
norman16
Message 1 of 11 (553 Views)
Accepted Solution

upgrading to USB 3

I have a Pavilion a1720n desktop computer that uses Vista home premium OS. It has USB and USB2 ports. I plan to purchase a USB 3 external hard drive, thinking  that my next computer will have USB 3 capability. In the meantime, is my a1720n computer capable of being upgraded to USB 3? And if so, how easy is it to do? Norman

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 11 (550 Views)

Re: upgrading to USB 3

norman16 wrote:

I have a Pavilion a1720n desktop computer that uses Vista home premium OS. It has USB and USB2 ports. I plan to purchase a USB 3 external hard drive, thinking  that my next computer will have USB 3 capability. In the meantime, is my a1720n computer capable of being upgraded to USB 3? And if so, how easy is it to do? Norman

Hi,

USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2 so you may use a USB 3 external hard drive on a pc with USB 2. It will work as a USB 2 drive but because the pc doesn't support USB 3, it wouldn't work at the USB 3 speed anyway.

The best way to use USB 3 drives is to buy a USB 3 supported computer. The main thing is that the motherboard has to support it. If not (computers with USB 2 can't achieve USB 3 speed) , the drive will always work as a USB 2 one..

USB 3 connection is supported in the latest Intel Sandy Bridge or AMD A-X Fusion computers..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Tutor
Huggi
Message 3 of 11 (545 Views)

Another option is to buy a PCI or PCIe card that allows USB3. Here's an example off eBay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PCI-E-Express-USB-3-0-4-Port-Card-Super-Speed-5Gb-s-/150601052134?pt=...
By my knowledge, they have the USB controller on the card so even if the mobo doesn't support USB3, it'll give your desktop USB3 capability.

Tutor
norman16
Message 4 of 11 (540 Views)

Thanks, I had wondered if these cards would work. It's worth a shot at only $15! Have you tried it? The e-bay site also shows how to install the card. Do you know if it needs software for it to work in the computer ? Norman

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 5 of 11 (527 Views)

norman16 wrote:

Thanks, I had wondered if these cards would work. It's worth a shot at only $15! Have you tried it? The e-bay site also shows how to install the card. Do you know if it needs software for it to work in the computer ? Norman

No additional software is necessary. The operating system is going to take care of it. 

I'm not sure about the pci usb 3 cards. I don't think it will transfer data at 5Gbps when SATA II computers support max 3Gbps. 

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Tutor
Huggi
Message 6 of 11 (521 Views)

Ah yes, bottlenecking. That's good point. If you have a SATA2 port hard drive, then your transfer speed will be limited to 3Gb/s max. Therefore, your USB3 will never reach its 5Gb/s potential unless you're transferring from one external USB3 drive to another external USB3 drive. If you have a SATA3 hard drive or SSD and motherboard, then it won't be a problem.
One thing to note is that a conventional HDD can't saturate 5Gb/s. They're not fast enough so you're not going to hit 5Gb/s anyway. Well, maybe those new 15,000rpm drives might but they're quite rare...

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 7 of 11 (517 Views)

Huggi wrote:

Ah yes, bottlenecking. That's good point. If you have a SATA2 port hard drive, then your transfer speed will be limited to 3Gb/s max. Therefore, your USB3 will never reach its 5Gb/s potential unless you're transferring from one external USB3 drive to another external USB3 drive. If you have a SATA3 hard drive or SSD and motherboard, then it won't be a problem.
One thing to note is that a conventional HDD can't saturate 5Gb/s. They're not fast enough so you're not going to hit 5Gb/s anyway. Well, maybe those new 15,000rpm drives might but they're quite rare...

That's right. You may get the full potential with some SSDs at the higher read/write speed. SATA 6.0 drives can reach the write speed up to 510MBps and the write one s bit less 480MBps. It depends on a particular product and manufacturer. SATA 6.0 solid hard drives can't never reach those speeds with the moving platters so even a USB 3 hard drive won't be much faster than a SATA II one..

Tutor
norman16
Message 8 of 11 (500 Views)

Thanks for the replies. I checked my hard drive. It is a Hitachi HDT725032VLA380. According to the specification, it has a SATA 3.0 GB/s interface. I don't fully understand all the messages, but I gather that adding in a USB 3.0 adaptor might be worth while, but it won't reach 5.0 GB/s with my system. Do you think it is worth while trying to install a USB 3.0 adaptor with my system? If so, can yoiu point me to a place which shows how to install one? Thanks again, Norman

Tutor
Huggi
Message 9 of 11 (492 Views)

I think it's still worthwhile since you will get a speed increase over USB 2.0 (which is only 480Mb/s). And as for installation, it's pretty straightfoward if you're getting a PCIe card. Just open up your computer and plug it into the relevant PCI Express slot (usually the slots closer to the CPU are faster). If you are still wary of doing it wrong, just post a picture of the motherboard and the card you're getting and I'll see if I can help.

Oh, by the way, please don't confuse "GB/s" with "Gb/s".
GB = gigabyte
Gb = gigabit

8b (bits) = 1B (byte)
So USB 3's 5Gb/s is actually only ~625MB/s. It's just tech speak to try and confuse people to think it's faster than it actually is :smileyindifferent:

Tutor
norman16
Message 10 of 11 (484 Views)

OK. I have not yet bought a PCI card, so it may take a while to get back to you for installation help. I am so grateful for your assistance. norman
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation