Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

what processors can i upgrade to i have a compaq presario cq57-319wm windows 7 64bit would like faster processor i have an Intel Celeron B800 processor now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It will depend on whether or not your installed version of Windows 7 is Windows 7 Starter.

The following CPUs are compatible with the systemboard in your notebook.

Intel Core i5-2430M 2.40-GHz processor
(1333-MHz FSB, 3.0-MB L3 cache, dual core,
35 W; not supported on computer models
equipped with Windows 7 Starter 32-bit
operating system

Intel Core i3-2330M 2.20-GHz processor
operating system)

Intel Core i3-370M 2.40-GHz processor (1066-
MHz FSB, 3.0-MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W;
not supported on computer models equipped
with Windows 7 Starter 32-bit
operating system)

Intel Pentium P6300 2.26-GHz processor (3.0-
MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W)

Intel Pentium P6200 2.13-GHz processor (3.0-

Intel Pentium B960 2.20-GHz processor (2.0-
MB L2 cache, dual core, TJ85, 35 W; not
supported on computer models equipped with
Windows 7 Starter 32-bit operating system)

Intel Pentium B950 2.10-GHz processor (2.0-

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

It will depend on whether or not your installed version of Windows 7 is Windows 7 Starter.

The following CPUs are compatible with the systemboard in your notebook.

Intel Core i5-2430M 2.40-GHz processor
operating system

Intel Core i3-2330M 2.20-GHz processor
operating system)

Intel Core i3-370M 2.40-GHz processor (1066-
MHz FSB, 3.0-MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W;
not supported on computer models equipped
with Windows 7 Starter 32-bit
operating system)

Intel Pentium P6300 2.26-GHz processor (3.0-

Intel Pentium P6200 2.13-GHz processor (3.0-

Intel Pentium B960 2.20-GHz processor (2.0-

Intel Pentium B950 2.10-GHz processor (2.0-

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks Erico. My system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Just to clarify your answer. This definitely helps with my confidence knowing I can go all the way to the i5 processor.

HP Recommended

Erico,

I've been doing some research on the i5-2540M cpu at the cpu world web site. Would this be compatable with the i5-2430M that you recommended for this same lap top?

compaq presario cq57-339wm windows 7 64bit home premium

HP Recommended

@dk714 wrote:

what processors can i upgrade to i have a compaq presario cq57-339wm windows 7 Home Premium 64bit would like faster processor i have an Intel Celeron B800 processor now.

Erico stated from the manual this lap top is compatable with the i5-2430M   35W.

Would an i5-2520M   35W and or i5-2540M   35W processor be compatable too?

This lap top has the HM65 Intel Express Chipset. Intel's compatablity web page shows these two processors are compatable. 

Anyone have any concerns?

HP Recommended

Will this list of processors also work if you have upgraded to the new Windows 8?

HP Recommended

I understand you have a question concerning what processors you can update to with Windows 8.

You should be able to use any of the compatible processors regardless of the OS that is installed with the exception of Starter editions.  What determines which processors will work is the motherboard and the BIOS.  The processors Erico referenced can be found on page 82 of the following guide.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02948186.pdf

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

So I can use the Intel Core i5-2430M 2.40-GHz processor (1333-MHz FSB, 3.0-MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W processor with my Compaq CQ57-339WM running Windows 8 Pro?? Do you have any idea where I can buy this ? Does that mean that the processor that is currently in my PC is in a socket and not soldered to the motherboard? Also will my BIOS version support an upgraded processor? Thank you for the help!

HP Recommended

Try Ebay. I purchased a B980 pentium processor for $18 but havn't installed yet. I have the same laptop. See the link for the i5 processor. You can search for others as well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=i5-2430m+cpu&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570....

HP Recommended

Using that processor with Windows 8 Pro won't be an issue.  The only exception listed is Windows 7 Starter.  You can search online for the HP part number in the guide I provided to find the processor.  Or search online using the processor model as well.  Dk714 has provided one option available on eBay.  If you do use eBay, be sure to purchase from a reputable seller.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.