windows 8.1 update (264 Views)
Honor Student
Kalaharikreef
Message 1 of 8 (264 Views)

windows 8.1 update

Hi can someone please help? After vowing to never again buy a Windows operated HP I was dumb enough to do just that. Well, after installing the updates for Windows 8 I was asked if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 8.1. It totally tankedmy machine. The install went good up until the restart when after the HP logo the mouse cursor just kept on ''thinking''... The update totally destroyd my PC up to the point that I had te reparttition and reinstall Windows 8.1. Now all sort of niggles seem to appear. Error messages while trying to update windows 8 and iTunes not picking up my iPhone (the best bit of the whole system. Anyone else experienced similar problems?

Teacher
CassieCat07
Message 2 of 8 (232 Views)

Re: windows 8.1 update

The only thing I can advise is backdating to Windows 8, which would require a full reinstall. Is it a new computer?

When Windows 8.1 was released I advised everyone I knew not to update their Windows 8 machines right away. It seemed obvious that it would have so many small glitches which haven't been fixed or even reported yet. And, as expected, so many people have had problems. I will not update my computer to 8.1 for many months until they've sorted it all out.     

Honor Student
Kalaharikreef
Message 3 of 8 (225 Views)

Thanks for the help. I meant I had to repartition and install Windows 8 again. How many months would you give till trying to update? Would it still be free... Rhetorical question as the Update was useless to start with:smileyhappy:. If somethings for free its usually rubbish.
Teacher
CassieCat07
Message 4 of 8 (220 Views)

So it's Windows 8 that's having these problems? I got my Windows 8 PC in March. Within days several programs and other background processes stopped responding - and that was just after turning it on! It wasn't anything drastic but it was annoying. I used the 'Refresh PC' option in the settings and it's been fine.

They originally made the update because people wanted a start button for their desktops. That's included in 8.1, but they seem to have rushed and added a load of other stuff to make the update seem more 'worthwhile', some of which clearly hasn't been tested properly. 

I suspect it will remain free for Windows 8 users. In a couple of months I'm going to have a look online and see if any substantial updates and fixes have been released. I'll probably try the update in January - don't want anything bad happening to my computer before the holidays. :smileyhappy: The update's supposed to give better performance and more customisable menu tiles, but my computer is fast enough and I only use the desktop interface so it might not be worth risking it. 

Honor Student
Kalaharikreef
Message 5 of 8 (169 Views)

Thanks, I'll wait a few months but I'm not sure if its worth the risk to update to 8.1 again. I updated the BIOS so maybe that will help. To answer your question I updated to 8.1 and the system crashed then I had to repartition and roll back to 8. 8 also has a few niggles like not wanting to shut down completely. Refreshing again. Arrrgh!
Teacher
CassieCat07
Message 6 of 8 (149 Views)

How is it doing? Windows 8 isn't that bad when it's all working properly. 

Honor Student
Kalaharikreef
Message 7 of 8 (138 Views)

I have not used it once since I bought it. Keeps falling over. Well after the last rebuilt it does not want to power down my PC it all. I have to force a shutdown with the power button. Took it to the vendor and they said its hardware. First time I heard of software breaking the hardware.
HP
Dunidar
Message 8 of 8 (117 Views)

Kalaharikreef

I would suggest you called into HP Technical Support for repair options as if this is a hardware issue you want it to be properly dealt with under your warranty.

Here is the link to contact options for laptops purchased in the US.

Here is the link to contact options for laptops purchased outside the US.

Please feel free to re-post if you have any further questions or concerns.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation