windows activation failed "BIOS license failed" (364 Views)
Top Student
JaniJJ
Message 1 of 8 (364 Views)

windows activation failed "BIOS license failed"

I have HP Compaq presario CQ61-420SO, HDD failed and Windows key were unreadable under the laptop but i got the CD KEY from the old HDD then i installed win7 from DVD and now its saying "BIOS FAILURE" to that win7 license. The only part that changed was that old HDD to SSD, What to do?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (354 Views)

Re: windows activation failed "BIOS license failed"

Hi,

That does happen on occasion

Try activating again.

Use the activate by telephone method. It will take some time to complete this, but is worth the effort.

It would have been simpler if you had migrated the installation on the old hard disk to the SSD.

-erico. 

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
JaniJJ
Message 3 of 8 (349 Views)

Old HDD were too broken to get anything else out, and its not giving me that Phone option on activation.

it says "Conatact microsoft for more support" or "Buy new license" or "Insert new license" in finnish.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 8 (347 Views)

Hi,

Didn't you write down the Microsoft Windows activation key?

You said you got it from the old hard disk.

If you can't find it and cannot read it on the sticker then you will have to purchase a new license key.  There are no other options available for you that I am aware of.

Best regards,

-erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
JaniJJ
Message 5 of 8 (334 Views)

i got the key but its saying that "Bios license failed"  and there is no option to take automatic phone activation

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 6 of 8 (325 Views)

Are you sure that it is the same Windows product key?

The following webpage I have linked explains why you are receiving this error message.

OEM Activation

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
JaniJJ
Message 7 of 8 (306 Views)

That old HDD that were in this computer is the original and that windows key i found from it with tools did work to my OEM DVD from start then it says about the bios license. Ok so if this key were not the same as it was in the other HDD how can i find the "real key"? But there should be only 1 key in 1 windows right? so it should be the real one and it worked with that old HDD but not with this SSD

Top Student
JaniJJ
Message 8 of 8 (269 Views)

ok what next? do i need to buy new license because HP motherboard bios says "oh i dont like this SSD" ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation