Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
iOS

Hi,

The 5512 will not print black.  Brand new cartridge installed.  Clean printhead run over 5 times without problem resolution.  There were many 5512 "no black print problems" noted on this forum with many being resolved.  I have follow the instructions found on so many postings, but unfortunitely, the problem still exist.  I did notice there were some private posting made so I am not sure this is a similar problem that needs to be addressed off-line.  Thanks in advance for any help provided.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  

Nothing worked to resolve the "no black ink".  

So, I took out the print head carriage assembly and carefully protected the small circuit board on the back side.  There was a great buildup of ink on the bottom of the assembly.  I sat the nozzles located at the bottom of the carriage in very hot water and allowed some time to soak.  From there, I carefully used some cloth material and q-tips to wipe off the nozzles.  Then, I took very hot water and ran it from the top side of the assembly toward the screens and thru the nozzles.  This effort lead to a very large discharge of both black and color ink.  I dried the assembly and reassembled the carriage back to the printer.  Placed all cartridges back in, ran clean printhead once and then guess what ??? the printer now prints both black and color inks better than it has in years.  

Total time needed to complete this cleaning was less than 30 minutes start to finish.  

Good luck to others who have this problem.  

Before trashing the printer, it is worth trying this fix.  

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi 39waverunner,

Please see the post linked here. It should help to resolve your issue.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Many Thanks,

Francheska

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hello @39waverunner,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I understand you are not able to print in black ink on your HP Photosmart 5512. You have done the troubleshooting steps online.

Please make sure you have not missed any steps in the following document; Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage an...

If you complete all of the steps in the document above and the issue continues, my own personal recommendation, not one of HPs, is to use the solution offered in the following video.  I only suggest doing this if the printer is out of warranty; How to fix a HP Printer, not printing black ink and missing colours

Based on the comments, it looks like this will help :smileyhappy:

Although the printer might be out of warranty, if the issue persists, HP may be able to offer you something. Maybe they can offer you a discount on an alternate model. If you are in Canada or US call 800 474 6836, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

HP printers generally have a 1 year warranty from their purchase date, you can verify the warranty using the following link if you would like; warranty check

I hope this helps.

If this resolves the issue, please let me know so we can help others who may be experiencing the same issue.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  

Nothing worked to resolve the "no black ink".  

So, I took out the print head carriage assembly and carefully protected the small circuit board on the back side.  There was a great buildup of ink on the bottom of the assembly.  I sat the nozzles located at the bottom of the carriage in very hot water and allowed some time to soak.  From there, I carefully used some cloth material and q-tips to wipe off the nozzles.  Then, I took very hot water and ran it from the top side of the assembly toward the screens and thru the nozzles.  This effort lead to a very large discharge of both black and color ink.  I dried the assembly and reassembled the carriage back to the printer.  Placed all cartridges back in, ran clean printhead once and then guess what ??? the printer now prints both black and color inks better than it has in years.  

Total time needed to complete this cleaning was less than 30 minutes start to finish.  

Good luck to others who have this problem.  

Before trashing the printer, it is worth trying this fix.  

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

I have run clean printer heads several times and printer will still not print black ink.

All new cartridges were installed.

What do I do next?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.