Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 7610
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I changed out a yellow cartridge & resumed printing several days ago. Won't work today & I get the error message in the subject heading. There are no jams & the print cartridge is stuck behind the protective plate with no means to access it. How to fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Actually, after wasting a lot of time, including setting up this account, I got a flashlight and stuck my head in there so I could get a decent view of the little slot-like area on the right hand side of the cartridge assembly area. I found that the reason the cartridge assembly wouldn't (couldn't) move was that the yellow ink cartridge had spontaneously popped out of its seat and was blocking the entire mechanism from moving. I slid a table knife into the slot and pushed the yellow cartridge back a bit and was then able to pull the whole cartridge assembly out into the open where I was able to reseat the yellow cartridge back into place. That this kind of thing can happen and not be readily identified or corrected is something of a classic design flaw. In a nutshell, it should have been anticipated by the Manufacturer.

And that's that.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi @Tombar1952 , and welcome to the HP Forums!

I see you're running into carriage issues.  I would like to assist. 

I'd suggest removing the ink cartridges, and performing a power reset on the printer.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would also recommend this document:

A 'Carriage Jam' Message Displays for HP Officejet 7610 Wide Format e-All-in-One Printer Series

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

Actually, after wasting a lot of time, including setting up this account, I got a flashlight and stuck my head in there so I could get a decent view of the little slot-like area on the right hand side of the cartridge assembly area. I found that the reason the cartridge assembly wouldn't (couldn't) move was that the yellow ink cartridge had spontaneously popped out of its seat and was blocking the entire mechanism from moving. I slid a table knife into the slot and pushed the yellow cartridge back a bit and was then able to pull the whole cartridge assembly out into the open where I was able to reseat the yellow cartridge back into place. That this kind of thing can happen and not be readily identified or corrected is something of a classic design flaw. In a nutshell, it should have been anticipated by the Manufacturer.

And that's that.

HP Recommended

Oh, and by the way, it was physically impossible to get at the ink cartidges while the cartridge assembly was lodged in place. Think about it.  :^\

HP Recommended

This exact thing just happened to me! 

This is a manufacturer"s defect. How can you access the cartridges in order to fix this? I can't even take the plate off the top because it's some special screw head. 

Thanks for the knife suggestion. I'll try that. 

Monica

HP Recommended

The knife is not working.  I need to print my resume for an interview.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

I am having this same problem.  It was working fine last time, and I don't even remember if I changed a cartridge last time, but when I turned the printer on and it was making all its normal setting up to print noises, I suddenly heard a different noise, a "boing" or spring breaking noise, and it stopped.  The cartridge that holds the ink cartridges is stuck behind that little wall on the right side and I cannot get it unstuck.  I have tried all the "paper jam" solutions, but it is not a paper jam, and I cannot get that thing out of there.  I fear something may have snapped off and is the item causing the obstruction, but I cannot get in there to see what or where.  I wish the top could be tilted back further or lifted off to get better access.  You said you fixed this exact type of jam with a butter knife.  I wonder if one of my cartridges popped up, too, but I cannot tell.  Help!

HP Recommended
I am having this same problem. It was working fine last time, and I don't even remember if I changed a cartridge last time, but when I turned the printer on and it was making all its normal setting up to print noises, I suddenly heard a different noise, a "boing" or spring breaking noise, and it stopped. The cartridge that holds the ink cartridges is stuck behind that little wall on the right side and I cannot get it unstuck. I have tried all the "paper jam" solutions, but it is not a paper jam, and I cannot get that thing out of there. I fear something may have snapped off and is the item causing the obstruction, but I cannot get in there to see what or where. I wish the top could be tilted back further or lifted off to get better access. You said you fixed this exact type of jam with a butter knife. I wonder if one of my cartridges popped up, too, but I cannot tell. Help!
HP Recommended

Laura,

Try using a butter knife to push the cartridges in and then manually pull out the cartridge. I did this and it worked. However I ended up breaking off part of the panel with the screw because I could not get it off. When that didn't work, I used the knife as someone suggested  - but pulled the ink cartridge mechanism out manually. 

Good Luck!!

HP - this is a flaw. I bought this printer less than 6 months ago.  I bought it because my last HP printer (only 2 years old) had an issue with the ink contact and would not print. Considering buying a Canon printer next time. Come on HP - step it up.

HP Recommended

I'm not entirely understanding where you guys are sticking that butter knife.  On top of the cartridges, horizontally under that cover or down the side?  Are you doing this with the power off and unplugged as all the paper jam instructions suggest?  Ugh.  I hate this printer.  Waste of money.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.