Question

Student
Amazing_Fox_2U
Message 1 of 2 (90 Views)

All printers should let you print black and white when you don't want to use color

HP may not let you print with a depleted color cartridge, but my other printer does.  Now, I know why I don't purchase HP printers.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 2 (69 Views)

Re: All printers should let you print black and white when you don't want to use color

There are different technologies used for printing and they have different tradeoffs.  Typically printers with printheads integrated with the ink supplies will allow printing with one cartridge empty, or in many models even removed completely.

Printers with seperate ink supplies and printheads, with plumbing to connect them typically require ink in all colors and black to avoid air in the plumbing or clogged printheds.  This is especially important in printers with permanant, non-replaceable printheads.

The above is generally true regardless of the printer manufacturer.  Running a printer with permanent printheads completely out of ink in any color may damage the system.  See the document here for a discussion of how ink is used in HP printers.  This also applies to other manufacturer's products.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation