Question

Honor Student
pkdoll57
Message 1 of 52 (11,396 Views)

Black Ink Cartridge not working HP Photosmart 5510 series

I replaced my black ink cartridge in my HP Photosmart 5510 series printer and it doesn't print.  I don't know how long I had the cartridge, so I went and bought a brand new cartridge and it still won't print.  I did everything the help menu said and it still doesn't print.  I cleaned print head and copper on both the cartridge and print head, I did an automatic cartridge clean and nothing is working.  The printer recognizes that the cartridge is full---there are no error messages---but it won't print.  I also replaced the  three color cartridges and they print fine, but the black doesn't.  Any help would be appreciated.  My printer is fairly new, I haven't done a lot of printing with it and it was printing untill the black ran out and I had to replace the cartridge.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 52 (11,386 Views)

Re: Black Ink Cartridge not working HP Photosmart 5510 series

Hi pkdoll57

It sounds like you've done all the usual troubleshooting so I would suggest you contact HP phone support straight away.

Support Phone No.s

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

You've mentioned the printer is fairly new, it'll still be under warranty and you may need a replacement.

Make sure to tell the call agent all of the steps you've already tried.

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
pkdoll57
Message 3 of 52 (11,377 Views)

Thank you Ciara----I will contact them right away. :smileyhappy:

Student
trexfoster
Message 4 of 52 (11,315 Views)

I have this problem too. Any suggestions?

Top Student
candb559
Message 5 of 52 (11,306 Views)

I have the same problem and called customer support. After going through the motions for about an hour "they" decided it was a hardware problem with my printer. I explained the contacts on the new cartridge were different than on the old one. Didnt make any difference with them. Tried to sell me an upgraded printer. Seems there is a manufactoring problem  but they dont want to admit it.

Tutor
annora
Message 6 of 52 (11,284 Views)

This is exactly the problem that i am having see my post of 10 minutes ago

Top Student
candb559
Message 7 of 52 (11,269 Views)

I have been told HP changed the cartridges. Another person told me to try changing all the color cartridges as well that the printer may just need all the same type cartridges.  I wish HP would put out a bulletin about this and what the fix is.   

Top Student
candb559
Message 8 of 52 (11,241 Views)

Dont bother caling Tech Support its a waste of time and they will try to sell you an upgrade printer. I spent two hours on the phone trying to talk to someone that can explain the problem with no luck. I was spoken to like I didnt know what I was talking about and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, they refused. Do yourself a favor and buy another brand of printer.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 9 of 52 (11,223 Views)

Hi, please see links below on cartridge changes

Change to electrical chip (new design has black dot)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03154756

Black XL size

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=c02750681

Hope this helps

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
candb559
Message 10 of 52 (11,215 Views)

Its just strange that so many people are reporting the same problem and its always the black cartridge. I cant imagine THAT many people have damaged the print heads (as I was told) just replacing the cartridge.  Seems like HP needs to do some research on this and let people know whats going on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation