Question

Intern
hpuser257
Message 1 of 52 (11,324 Views)

Black Ink Won't Print - HP OfficeJet 4620

As the subject of this post says, I have an HP OfficeJet 4620 All-In-One printer.  I recently ran out of black ink and bought a brand new HP-brand black XL cartridge from Staples to refill it.  When I went to print a document recently, everything printed except for any black on the page.  Literally not a streak or a dot.  I've had the printer for just over a year ( just 2 months past warranty, conveniently) and have replaced my fair share of cartridges so I know what I'm doing in that regard.  I've also run the following tools to try to find and fix any problems:

• HP Print & Scan Doctor
  • HP HW Diagnostic Utility

Neither one of them found any issues at all.  The black ink shows up in the tools along with the corresponding amount of ink left and the details of the cartridge so I know the contacts are connected well.  There's nothing obstructing the flow of ink on the cartridge or the part where the ink flows into the printer.  I dabbed both very lightly to check that there wasn't a clog due to drying and that everything checked out - wet black ink on both ends.  

After doing some research on this topic it's become clear to me that this is an issue found commonly in this printer model which HP seems to care nothing about.  They're aware but offer no solution outside of their cookie cutter responses about cleaning/aligning the printhead and running their useless diagnostic tools.  The other option: pay some ridiculous repair fee to fix a problem that they caused.

So what I'd like to know is, first off, has anyone out there at all found a solution to this or a similar problem (regardless of printer model).  Second off, is there anyone at HP that monitors this forum for issues and actually cares enough about they're customers to try to find a real solution to a widespread problem that, at this point, seems to be a manufacturing flaw on their end without asking us to pay more money than we already have for their crap product.

On a side note, if you've run into the same or simlar problems and haven't recieved a satisfactory answer from HP I strongly urge you to go to every review site you can think of and leave negative feedback detailing your experience and their lack of care and surplus of greed.  If you bought it from an online retailer that allows you to leave feedback as a certified buyer, that's even better.  I know I'll be doing both of those things if this problem isn't solved in the very near future.

In conclusion, HP is a HUGE company with a HUGE amount of resources and could easily look into and resolve this problem without asking us for more money, they just choose not to.  Spread the word....

Intern
hpuser257
Message 2 of 52 (11,323 Views)

Re: Black Ink Won't Print - HP OfficeJet 4620

More Info:  I tried 2 seperate brand new black cartridges, and got the same results with both.  Absolute crap...

Top Student
bigjake887799
Message 3 of 52 (11,302 Views)

I had the same problem spent over $50 on new HP ink cart. and it will not work. Spent 2-3 hours on the phone doing the runaround with a promise of a call back. but they did not. There solution was to buy new cart. and see if that woulkd fix the issue. So then I would have over $100 in ink cart. that do not work.

At this point I am going to give up. When I buy a new printer it will not be a HP.

HP may have won this battle but have lost a customer for life.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 52 (11,288 Views)

Hi, as you've used refilled cartridges it's possible that the non HP ink is causing the issue. Have Staples offered a replacement?

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 5 of 52 (11,287 Views)

bigjake887799 wrote:

I had the same problem spent over $50 on new HP ink cart. and it will not work. Spent 2-3 hours on the phone doing the runaround with a promise of a call back. but they did not. There solution was to buy new cart. and see if that woulkd fix the issue. So then I would have over $100 in ink cart. that do not work.

At this point I am going to give up. When I buy a new printer it will not be a HP.

HP may have won this battle but have lost a customer for life.

Hi, is you printer still in warranty? If so I'd suggest contacting phone support again for a printer replacement. Out of interest, does the printer sound noisy when it's trying to print?

Thanks, Ciara

Top Student
bigjake887799
Message 6 of 52 (11,281 Views)

They say it's 11 days out of warrenty. Someone called me last night at 11 PM and told me it was a defective printer. They said because it was out of warrenty they would sell me another printer. I almost never use this printer. About 6 months ago it gave me a message it was out of ink after very little use. I thought it ran out very fast but bought all new ink for over $50. Installed the ink tested it and it worked. Yesterday tried to print something for the first time and it did not work. This printer has not printed more that 25 to 50 pages total.

The call to customer service was unbelivable poor experence. Being placed on hold as soon as they answer the phone for no reason. I was placed on hold so many times and for so long two times I just hung up.

HP sold be a defective printer that coused me to buy over $50 in ink cart. that will not work.

HP ripped me off this time but never again. If you are looking for a printer you may want to look past HP because there customer service is terrible they knowing sell defective products.

Intern
hpuser257
Message 7 of 52 (11,214 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ciara_B wrote:

Hi, as you've used refilled cartridges it's possible that the non HP ink is causing the issue. Have Staples offered a replacement?

When I said that I went to staples to refill it I meant that I bought a new one.  Every cartridge I've ever used was a brand-new and disgustingly overpriced HP brand cartridge.  I always use HP brand cartridges. [Content Removed]

Intern
hpuser257
Message 8 of 52 (11,205 Views)

If you check my last comment you'll see the following at the end of my post: [Content Removed]

So, being that they censor certain critical comments I'd encourage anyone viewing this to go ahead and use your favorite search engine to look up the following:

"HP uses color ink in black only mode" "HP cartridges expire with ink still left" and "HP printers lead customers to belive ink is empty when it is not."

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 9 of 52 (11,191 Views)

Hi hpuser257, I'm going to private message you on this topic.

Thanks, Ciara

Top Student
randsg
Message 10 of 52 (11,014 Views)

HPuser 257, did you get a resolution to the problem?  I have the same issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation