Thesupe
Message 31 of 52 (7,964 Views)

Re: Black Ink Won't Print - HP OfficeJet 4620

My sentiments exactly!!

Top Student
tammyhochstein
Message 32 of 52 (7,955 Views)

So I called HP and was on the phone with them for over a hour (which is crazy to begin with).  They tried telling me my printer was out of warranty, but lucky for me I purchased it online at staples the Wed before thanksgiving last year. I was able to sign into staples and pull up the receipt which showed it was purchased on 11/24/12, which means it was still under warranty.  

After that they sent me to the hardware department who is going to replace it with the same model.  I asked them how do I know this will not happen again since this model seems to be defective and they would know this if they went online to their forum and read all the people who are having the same issue.  The man proceeds to tell me they fixed the issue with new firmware and this should not be a problem in the refurbished one they  are sending me.  I ask him why not then just tell me how to install the new firmware on this one.  He says it can only be done by HP.  Part of me is happy they are sending me the same one since I have 3 new black XL ink cartridges that I purchased at BJs a month ago and new XL color cartridge.  I just hope the one they send does not have the same issue.

They also send me a email they they will not send it out without my receipt showing that it is still under warranty.  So I just scaned it and sent it to them.  What I do not get is if they know their is a problem and updated the firmware to solve the problems on the ones they have at HP, why not stand behind your product and have everyone who purchase it be able to send their old one in and replace it with the same refurbished model with the new firmware?  As one comes in HP can fix the firmware and send it to the next person who has the issue.  It is not fair if a product is defective to only repair it if the warrenty is in effect.

Tutor
Thesupe
Message 33 of 52 (7,945 Views)

[ Edited ]

I guess we have to expand our horizons and let the public know about this. The only people who see this now are all the others who have this problem and are on this forum. HP will just keep trying to apease us with cleaning routines till we get tired and go away.

Tutor
Thesupe
Message 34 of 52 (7,939 Views)

[ Edited ]

My email is {Personal Information Removed}

Honor Student
ghgutzman
Message 35 of 52 (7,893 Views)

I have done the same thing others have tried.  The first thing I did was enter my product number in the HP website and was told promptly that my printer was out of warranty because it was 11 months old.  I bought new black cartridges, and stupidly replaced the black ink twice.  The HP OFFICEJET 4620 All In One did not work. Today, I hooked up a different laptop and it worked--twice, and then shot out clean sheets of paper.  I will never buy another HP printer.  I have had problems with each printer about the time they are one year old. I do not print daily use the printer heavily, so what gives?  Doesn't matter, because I am through with HP

Honor Student
fung1t
Message 36 of 52 (7,881 Views)

The Officejet 4620 issue being discussed here happened here in Australia too. My father passed away earlier in the year so the printer has been left idle in his house for a few months. I recently took the printer home and noticed that the black cartridge is low so I replaced it with a new genuine HP cartridge. Guess what, BLACK will not print anymore. My father have never used non-genuine stuff, I know, as I bought all the supplies for him.  No error message on the printer. HP scan and print doctor found no issues. I tried all the HP procedures and diagnostics, another new cartridge etc. etc. without any successl.  Warranty expired in August so the printer is only about15 months old. 

After wasting many hours troubleshooting,  I just decided i will finish using up the supply of spare 564 ink cartridges with my other HP printer and then I will toss the whole lot out and buy another brand. Sad to say,  I have had good experience with high end HP printers for many years at work but the quality of its consummer line, IMHO, is just not up to scratch. 

Honor Student
JerseyJo
Message 37 of 52 (7,713 Views)

Hi.  Just to clarify your fix for the black not printing.   You said you put the cartridge in hot water.  Exactly which portion of the cartidge did you submerge?

Thanks

Honor Student
JerseyJo
Message 38 of 52 (7,712 Views)

Ciara

Did you ever find the solution to black not printing on 4620?  

Frustrated in Chicago!

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 39 of 52 (7,694 Views)

Hi @JerseyJo 

Have you run a Printhead Clean? I presume the cartridge still has plenty of ink, and you've checked the vent area? Is the printer stil within warranty?

Black not printing

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Black-not-printing/m-p/2926025

Thanks

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 40 of 52 (7,729 Views)

Hi @fung1t 

As the printer was left idle for a few months, I'd suggest running a couple of printhead cleans. On the new cartridge, have you checked the vent area?

Have you tried resetting the printer?

Resetting the printer

1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation