Question

Honor Student
basketgirl
Message 1 of 11 (7,666 Views)
Accepted Solution

Black Ink not printing HP Photosmart C309

My printer suddenly won't print any black.  I've cleaned the printhead (using tools on the printer), took out the cartridge and shook it to see if there is really ink in it (printer says it's full), and it sloshes.  The printer has been in regular use - nothing is dried out.  I tried printing the "Status Report" and the only thing that prints is the ink supply pictures.  The large black cartridge shows nothing, as if the cartridge is empty.  Can anyone help?

Honor Student
chuya68
Message 2 of 11 (7,596 Views)

Re: Black Ink not printing HP Photosmart C309

I'm waiting for an answer too.  Failing that, I am looking at getting a new printer (non - HP).

Honor Student
basketgirl
Message 3 of 11 (7,586 Views)

I did not get any response to my problem and just bought a new printer (non HP).  My HP printer was just over a year old, by the way.....goot luck finding out what causes this.

Honor Student
atkinsd
Message 4 of 11 (7,549 Views)

This is my third PhotoSmart Premium printer that has developed the same problem as yours. I thought that replacing them was easier than troubleshooting for hours and buying more expensive cartridges that use half of their ink performing "cleaning cartridges" and "alignment".  When this printer had the same problem as the previous two I spent hours tediously cleaning the printhead and cartridges with alcohol & Qtips, removing a bucket load of black ink.  The Print Quality Diagnostic Report turned out perfect, but when I tried to print and e-mail and a Word document in Black ink, it only printed in GREEN ink.  Frustrating!!   Someone must know how to fix this problem because HP won’t because it just passed it’s warranty date.

Top Student
Annie-B
Message 5 of 11 (7,527 Views)

I am having the same issue. Status says printer is ready but no matter what I do I cannot get text to print other than extremely faded if at all. I have also posted and am hoping for a reply. I checked drivers and cleaned all contacts. All my cartridges are new. This is very frustrating.

Honor Student
basketgirl
Message 6 of 11 (7,521 Views)

It's interesting to me that this problem is showing up now.  When I first posted there was nothing about it.  Notice no one has found a solution yet.  I went through the same thing and dediced it was cheaper to buy a new printer - not HP anymore!!!  I assume yours is also out of warranty or you would have called HP support.  It's a real bummer.  Mine was just over a year old. I hope someone has an answer for those of you who haven't given up yet.

Top Student
Annie-B
Message 7 of 11 (7,520 Views)

I am going to try the process mentioned for the C310 which was having the same problem of not printing in black. If it works I will respond again

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 11 (7,490 Views)

See the post here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
sellotape
Message 9 of 11 (7,324 Views)

HI all,

my HP Photosmart Premium C309a was part way through printing in black and white only, when the black failed. I thought the starter ink level may have been wrong on the front panel, so I bought a new black cartridge. Same issue and so I found this forum. I did a cartridge clean, and the black started to work again. This is certainly an issue to keep an eye on, and not one I am happy to know about. My printer is only 1 month old.

Student
Lonegull
Message 10 of 11 (3,167 Views)

Hey there.   I just started having the same problem - today.  I was on the phone with an HP Tech Support and he tried to convince me that my computer has a virus which sometimes causes the black ink to not work.  He then tried to convince me to purchase some protection program and he would help me fix the problem.  The was to cost me $240 for a two year subscription.  

So I took a swab and dipped it in rubbing alcohol.  I cleaned the gold contacts and a the top where the ink goes in.  Guess what?  It works.  Pass the word.   And good luck.  Hewlett Packard should be ashamed of themselves not to mention a simple solution. This will  be my last Hewlett Packard equipment I will ever purchase!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation