Question

Honor Student
hpesch
Message 1 of 12 (293 Views)

Black does not print after installation of new HP cartridge

When printing black text the ink stopped. I exchanged the old cartridge with a new one of the same type, 364. The printer thanked for installing an original cartridge and according to the system the black cartridge is full. But black ink is not coming. I cleaned the print heads and printed a Quality diagnostic sheet. The black box is empty and the text is brown. Only the line "ALIGN PRINTER if lines are crooked" looks black.

I looked at the cartridge and all seems to be ok, tapes removed and the opening looks moist.

Any idea what I should try next?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 12 (274 Views)

Re: Black does not print after installation of new HP cartridge

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model?  Are there any error messages on the printer or computer screen?

If your printer has a removable printhead the post here may help.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
hpesch
Message 3 of 12 (265 Views)

Sorry, forgot to mention model. Photosmart 5520, one year old. Print quality was excellent until recent cartridge got empty, new cartridge was exchanged immediately. Black text is printed light blue. Looks like I have to get a new printer, but it won't be HP.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 12 (248 Views)

[ Edited ]

As this is a 5520, regardless if it's out of warranty, I'd advise calling HP Phone Support, as you may require a replacement. Can you please let us know how you get on?

Thanks

Ciara

Phone no.s

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
hpesch
Message 5 of 12 (244 Views)

So it seems to be a faulty model. Well, I already ordered a Samsung Laser printer 

SL-M2070W 

The HP printer was a disappointment, it prints well only in Best mode, Draft was unreadalbe, and it makes a lot of noise when preparing itself for printing. Sorry Lexmark does not sell printers anymore, I had many Lexmark models and they never let you down.

SL-M2070W
Honor Student
hpesch
Message 6 of 12 (199 Views)

I tried to phone the support, but since the 12 month garantee is over they just play a tape message saying go to the net. I will contact the local consumer support agency and complain about this. Never again any HP product.

Honor Student
reza1
Message 7 of 12 (186 Views)

I have just been having the same issue... Replaced the black cartridge and it just won't print black. I have aligned and I have cleaned... What now?

HP 5520 - must be problematic.

Will try to contact tomorrow. But, if you 

have not had any luck, don't know if I will.

Honor Student
superma
Message 8 of 12 (177 Views)

thank you for all your answers on not able to print black .  I ran out of the color carthridges and all was working well . Then one day I come on the computer and began printing and the black color wasn't working so I turned the pages all to red , green ... and it would print in those colors as long as I didn't use black. Then suddenly it didn't print any colors at all . The carthridges are full? What now ? The carthridges are very expensive , hate to replace the printheads if its going to work,  not certain  if it will work?

HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 9 of 12 (118 Views)

Hi hpesch,

I see you tried to contact phone support but because of your Warranty status you were not able to resolve the issue. I have sent you a Private message on the Forums, please go to your Userpage to the right of your Username and you will see your inbox.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 10 of 12 (110 Views)

Hi reza1 & superma,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! :smileyhappy: I see you are running into some print quality issues on your HP Photosmart 5520, you are unable to print in black ink,

I would like you to complete ALL steps listed here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, I understand you may have done some of these steps already but I need you to complete all steps in order to resolve the missing black issue you are experiencing.

Please note: There are three printhead cleaning stages. Complete all three stages if necessary. If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes after the last (third) cleaning stage to start the first stage of the cleaning process over again.

If you are still unable to print in black ink, I suspect the issue may be the printer and not the cartridge. Please let me know which Country/Region you are in as well as the product Warranty status: HP Warranty Checker

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation