Question

Honor Student
K-Stater
Message 1 of 42 (24,382 Views)

Black ink cartridge not working after replacing

I replaced the black ink cartridge on my HP Photosmart 6510 because the print was getting faded.  Now the black will not print.  I used an original HP replacement cartridge and inserted it according to specifications.  I ran a test page and all colors printed except the black so I ran a printhead clean to no avail.  I wet a paper towel and touched it to the ink and it is not dried up.  Help!

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 2 of 42 (24,316 Views)

Re: Black ink cartridge not working after replacing

Hi there k-stater,

This article covers print quality issues. Give the steps outlined a shot (especially checking the black cartridge's vent hole) and let us know if it helps.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Top Student
Busey33
Message 3 of 42 (24,312 Views)

I have the same problem.  I tried your document on test and made it as far as Print Alignment and it Failed.  I assume that is due to no black ink on the alignment paper at all.

Testing the vent hole I blew in the vent hole to make sure it was clear and black ink came out on my test paper, not on me. 

I have cleaned the contact with Isopropal Alcohol and a cotton swab.

I have also tried the clean print head several time with no luck.  It is only the regular black ink that fails.  All the rest work.  I change the text of a document to Red and then printed and it worked just fin.

Any additional ideas would be appreciated.  

Honor Student
debiscrolls
Message 4 of 42 (24,304 Views)

I've tried everything listed.  And the black ink still does not print......please help

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 5 of 42 (24,287 Views)

busey33,

This article should help you get past the alignment failed if you are using the 6510 like the original poster. Give the steps a shot and let us know if it helps unless it is a different model number in which case let us know.  

debiscrolls,

Could you help me with unique factors of your situation? Is this for the 6510 or a different printer? Are you able to print a test page? If so is black and any other color missing or streaked from the test?

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Top Student
Busey33
Message 6 of 42 (24,283 Views)

Yes I have a different printer.  I have an HP Photosmart Premium 309a.  

If you can provide help it would be appreciated.

Thanks       Doug

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 7 of 42 (24,265 Views)

[ Edited ]

busey33,

The steps are similar but here is the same article for the C309. Let us know if it helps.

Best of Luck!

Top Student
Busey33
Message 8 of 42 (24,252 Views)

Thanks for the document.   I tested the printer and it failed.  It says replace the printer head.  So I look on the internet and the part is not listed.  I call the number and and gave them the part number.  They look it up and say I need to transfer you to Tech Support.    I hold on the line for a couple of minutes and the phone is disconnected.  The HP rep had given me the number for Tech Support so I called, after answering several questions it says your call will be answered and then disconnects me.  I really appreciated your support but surely don't like the way Tech support just dumps you.  I guess I'll just buy another brand of printer.

Thanks for your help

Student
Jaggder
Message 9 of 42 (23,675 Views)

I could not get black ink to print even though computer had ink in black cartridge.  I replaced with new black ink cartridge and it still will not print black

Student
SPVDA
Message 10 of 42 (22,773 Views)

I have Officejet 6500 Wireless, the new black HP cartridge did not work.  I got a new one and it also does not work.  I tried cleaning cartridge heads and alignment and it still does not work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation