Question

Honor Student
ConnieRand
Message 1 of 14 (9,222 Views)

Black ink does not print, OfficeJet 6500

I have an OfficeJet 6500 multifunction (E709n). The black ink does not print. The cartridge is new and shows as full in the HP Utility. The cartridge is properly vented and seated in the printer. All the other colors print correctly and the cartridges have plenty of ink.

I'm running Mac OSX Lion. The printer is shared wirelessly with four Macs (all running Lion) on the network. Everything is working normally except the black ink not printing.

I've cleaned the printheads, and aligned the cartridges more than once, but still the problem persists. Anything else I can do?

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 2 of 14 (9,190 Views)

Re: Black ink does not print, OfficeJet 6500

Hey Connie! Try working through this document and let me know if it resolves your issue.

Troubleshooting Print Quality Issues

Let me know if this resolves the issue!

-Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Honor Student
ConnieRand
Message 3 of 14 (9,187 Views)

Thanks for trying to help, I've already tried everything listed on that page except replacing the printhead. The expense for that, not knowing if it would even work, seemed to be a bad choice. We purchased a new printer, and will give the OfficeJet 6500 to someone else who likes to "tinker" with things.

We bought a 6500A, which can use the same cartridges, and are happy with that.

Student
rtorralbop
Message 4 of 14 (9,067 Views)

Unfortunately cannot give you an answer at all. I bought mine 18 months ago and I am having the same problem. I bought new black cartridges but  the problem remains. It's a shame that you buy a printer plus cartridges and all of a sudden it stops printing in black. HP is not facilitating support at all.

Good luck.

Honor Student
ConnieRand
Message 5 of 14 (9,063 Views)

I already tried everything in the document, to no avail. I gave up and bought a new printer.

Student
Cherster
Message 6 of 14 (8,599 Views)

Re: Black ink does not print, OfficeJet 6000

Sean,

I tried all the diagonstics and other suggestions posted by HP. Am I to understand that the only thing i can do is buy a new printer?  Please let me know.

Top Student
JimMallabar
Message 7 of 14 (8,495 Views)

Re: Black ink does not print, OfficeJet 6000

This seems to be a common theme. So far the only solution that works is buy a new printer.
Student
cherylholley
Message 8 of 14 (6,905 Views)

I am very fustrated!  I have been trying to get the black ink to work and replaced ALL cartridges now (test are using up all other inks).  I soaked the head (like instructed); tried updates; upluged machine and still NO BLACK PRINTING!  What is wrong with these machine!!!

Top Student
JimMallabar
Message 9 of 14 (6,887 Views)

My HP Printer actually started working again.  3 days after buying an Epson Workforce, one of my kids accidentally printed to it and the black came out fine.  No ryhme or reason, just decided to work.  Now I I have to decide if I buy another colcor cartridge for the HP, or do I decide that I really only need one printer.

Honor Student
TomOfMilton
Message 10 of 14 (6,187 Views)

Going through this same problem.  I'm scared of the nightmare to come.

I'm shocked that HP has not trigged to this and supplied help to people going through it.

By the way HP Officejet 6500A isn't going to help...mine IS an "A" and it is doing this.  Very wrong for a printer to die this quickly.

I don't know yet where "phone" support will get me but I pray it is beyond east coast business hours.  I can't "stay home from work" to try an solve this over the phone with a tech.  Wish me luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation