Question

Honor Student
AlliedDoncaster
Message 1 of 10 (2,262 Views)

Black ink not working in Photsmart 6510

I installed a new black genuine HP ink cartridge into my Photosmart 6510 printer and when I tried to align the cartridges , alignment failed.   A message appeared that the cartridges were not calbrated for optimum performance - please can anyone help?

I had earlier had a problem with the yellow cartridge not printing and I had to clear the vent with a pin as there was paper over it, although this was not a new cartridge but had been in the printer for some time and had previously been working. The yellow ink now prints OK. The black ink worked initially, but then just stopped working

I have cleaned the printhead many times, in fact I have had to order new ink catridges as the colours are all nearley used up with trying to get the printer working

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 10 (2,248 Views)

Re: Black ink not working in Photsmart 6510

I am sorry that you are having that problem with the printer, Have you looked at the steps in this document here? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02907259&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

I know some of the steps are ones that you have tried, but I am listing it as a point of reference so that the steps that have been done are listed. 

Also here is a link to a document to troubleshoot alignment problems for your model of printer since you are getting that error message on alignment failure. The steps again mimic the ones listed above. My question is have you did a manual cleaning of the printhead to make sure that build up on the outside of the part is not the cause of the problem?  If you have not done a manual a cleaning, use this document to see how to do the process and what materials to use. . Click on error code OXC19A0003 and that will show the instructions to do that cleaning. I know this is not the error message that you are getting, but it is the best document at outlining that process. While you have the printhead out of the machine, take note of the warranty ends date listed under the contacts. If still having an issue, post back and supply that date. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Honor Student
JoeK2012
Message 3 of 10 (2,205 Views)

I have the same or similar issue. My 6510 suddenly stopped printing in black.

• Replaced cartridge.
  • Ran the printhead cleaning several times.
  • Checked cartridge venting.

I would like to manually clean the printhead, but I do not appear to have the gray release lever to get the printhead assembly out as described in the above referenced document. i need some additional help on how to remove the printhead from my unit.

In addition, the area under where the printhead parks as well as the mechanism that (I believe) does the auto-cleaning or covers the parked printhead is visually covered with black ink. Since this is off to the side and difficult to reach, is there a process for cleaning this area other than very long Q-tips?

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 4 of 10 (2,190 Views)

@JoeK2012- While the user manual and certain documents in the help section of the HP Support page show the printer having a latch to remove the printhead, it really does not have a way to remove that part. I went and found an actual physical model to confirm that prior to posting back. I would clean the contacts on the cartridges, and more importantly, the contacts inside the printhead where the cartridges sit. Step four of this here will show the steps to do that cleaning of the contacts. I hope that this helps.
Honor Student
JoeK2012
Message 5 of 10 (2,171 Views)

@Shirlzz1 - Gonna hit the "Kudos with Inclusion" but could not find that button. :cathappy:  I am a printing fool once again!

I started with your suggestion and the printer improved from 0% black to a smeared, illegible, black "effort". (I now knew the printer was at least trying.) Repeated system head-cleaning was only a marginal help at this point, so I focused on a good cleaning of other areas. I worked with primarily with (a lot of) Q-tips. First dry, but later i slightly dampened (not soaked) them with bottled water to get off some of the dried ink. i found that small, long-nose, vice grips work very good to hold the Q-tip when reaching down into the rubber "squeegies" that apparently do the head cleaning. These were extremely caked with ink, so I do not believe that were capable of doing their job. A lot of extra focus (and a very little rubbing alcohol) in this area and the collection pit below. After the squeegies were spotless, the head-cleaning function worked great the first time. Done!

P.S. - The total process was about 3hrs, but it took me about a week to complete given a busy work schedule. I was able to keep the cartridges alive by sealing them in a Tupperware container with about 1/2oz. of bottled water. The container was tipped so the cartridges were pright, but did not touch the water. It kept the humidity in the container at 100% so they did not dry out at all. All four worked great on the first test page.

I also think a very little moisture on the round screens in the printing head helped. Some additional ink came off even after the dry wiping yielded nothing. Since this is a very fine screen, I would assume any dry ink residue would contribute to plugging it up. 

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 6 of 10 (2,166 Views)

@ JoeK2012- I am Glad that you are up and running! Thanks for responding back and letting the community know the process and outcome of your former issue. Happy Printing!
Honor Student
JoeK2012
Message 7 of 10 (2,166 Views)

Follow-up related question(s):

As mentioned above, i found a lot of ink on the rubber squeegies and in the "pit" located under where the cartridges "park".  The volume of dried ink (primarily black) i removed would appear almost enough to fill another small catridge. I have had this printer for less than a year, just put in the third black cartridge (including the original), and... admittingly,... have not performed a print-head cleaning until I had this problem.

1. Is this amount of (non-printing) ink discharge normal? (Seems like a good portion of my cartridge investment goes towards making a mess.)
  2. Does the system wipe the printheads as a regular function (between intentional printhead cleanings)?
Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 8 of 10 (2,158 Views)

Some cast off/discharge of ink is normal. How much differs from printer to printer and also is affected by user choice. The printer does clean the printhead on its own if prompted by the sensors. Some printers do this on start-up and when they are "calibrating". For a more complete picture on ink useage I would look at this link here for further information.
Student
Greggy
Message 9 of 10 (1,796 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here another HP loser, this time from The Netherlands. My black also failes on me and now it's complaining about fake toners... Pfff... I'm buying everything new to overcome [Content Removed] like this. I wasted 15 pages of alignment pages, machine complains that it cannot align, cleaning does not help. I'm waisting very expensive ink here right now and I still cannot print for my work.

14months old. Out of guarantee probably. Original ink only. Printed very little. Now I can throw away the machine?!!

These are very expensive pages!

The HP printer looked great but I've had enough with it. HP dropped from A-brand to B or lower in my opinion!

A big[Content Removed] HP!! I'm going back to Canon where I never experienced such issues in the past!!

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 10 of 10 (1,633 Views)

Hi Greggy

Is the msg about Used or Counterfeit cartridges? If so, this msg can be okayed and shouldn't stop you printing. Check out the link below...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Are-you-seeing-a-Used-or-Counterfe...

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation