Question

Honor Student
PSmiley
Message 1 of 13 (238 Views)

Black ink not working

I changed the black cartridge to my HP photosmart 5514, but the black is not working.  If I do a documant in bold and try to make it print, it only comes up grayscale.  I tried another ink cartridge, but the same results.  Any suggestions?

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 2 of 13 (208 Views)

Re: Black ink not working

Hi PSmiley,

I understand the black cartridge in your 5514 will not print. Please complete all of the steps in the following document; Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages. Although I hope this resolves the issue, it might not. If the issue persists, please post back with your warranty status. Use the following link to check your warranty.

If your printer is still in warranty, please call HP and explain the issue you are experiencing. The number to call HP is 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

If your printer is out of warranty, let me know and I will do my best to help. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

Please also include your country/region in your next post. Thanks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 3 of 13 (163 Views)

Hi PSmiley,

Did you call HP? If so what was the outcome? If your have not called and the printer is in warranty, I suggest you call them.

If your printer is out of warranty, please let me know what country you are in and I will see what else there is I can do to help.

I hope to hear from you.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Teacher
Photokool
Message 4 of 13 (150 Views)

From the amount of posts on this issue, it appears to be a VERY common practice with current HP printers... within the first year or two, the black ink clogs up and will not print. The "clean print head" options on the printer don't accomplish anything.

I tried all of the suggestions -- even opened two NEW black cartridges -- and the wet paper towel wiping on the print head screen -- nothing!

So even though I've only put "genuine" HP cartridges in my printer -- and paid the cost that goes along with that -- that does not assure me that I can have a reliable printer.

On one of the of the other threads, someone actually marked the issue as "solved" when the person with the printer was so frustrated that that gave up and bought another printer! That was the SOLUTION!

If this is a significant issue with HP printers, then HP needs to own it and issue recalls for the printers that are affected.

My previous loyalty to HP is misplaced, I guess. My third HP laptop had a hard drive failure after only 9 months. I replaced that drive, but then the computer CPU died when it was just over two years old. It is sad.

My current printer is my third HP printer. I gave away my first one because the print cartridges were so expensive and NEVER came down in price (black ink - $35 for an ink jet!). My second one I gave to my daughter, but she says she is having problems with print cartridges now, too.

My current one is not very old... it should not need to be replaced already. Very sad!

Honor Student
PSmiley
Message 5 of 13 (139 Views)

My printer is out of warranty, and I live in the USA.  I have had other HP printers without this problem, but it seems like it is becoming more of a problem from what I have read.

Teacher
Photokool
Message 6 of 13 (125 Views)

PSmiley,

There is a link to a YouTube video that Frankie46 posted about a way to use alcohol and a syringe to clean a print head that can't be removed. You just need to put a folded paper towel underneath the print head before to absorb the alcohol and ink. I would have tried this, but Costco was willing to return the printer I bought, so I did that instead.

FYI, the YouTube link is trying to sell a "kit" for cleaning the print heads, but it is just alcohol and a syringe. You don't need to buy a kit. The only advantage of using the syringe is to control how much alcohol you put on the print head.

It is good information to know for the future. Of course, having a print head you can actually easily clean would be an even better option!

Teacher
Photokool
Message 7 of 13 (124 Views)

And apparently it helps if you heat the isopropyl alcohol first... you can put the bottle to soak in a pan of water that has boiled to heat it.

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 8 of 13 (83 Views)

Hi PSmiley,

PSmiley wrote:

My printer is out of warranty, and I live in the USA.  I have had other HP printers without this problem, but it seems like it is becoming more of a problem from what I have read.

Thank you for getting back to me. I am going to send you a private message, please check the little envelope on the top right hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
KBKelly
Message 9 of 13 (73 Views)

I have the same problem with a 2 year old printer (HP 5514). New black ink-- but nothing comes out. Can you PM me as well? It's out of warranty now, but this seems to be clearly a common problem.

Thank you!

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 10 of 13 (68 Views)

Hi KBKelly,

Did you follow all of the steps in the document I posted in Message 2?

"Please complete all of the steps in the following document; Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages. Although I hope this resolves the issue, it might not. If the issue persists, please post back with your warranty status. Use the following link to check your warranty.

If your printer is still in warranty, please call HP and explain the issue you are experiencing. The number to call HP is 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

If your printer is out of warranty, let me know and I will do my best to help. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

Please also include your country/region in your next post. Thanks."

I know from your post that your printer is out of warranty, but if the issue persists after reviewing/completing all of the troubleshooting solutions, please post back to let me know your Country/region.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation