Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart Plus all in One e B210a. When printing DL envelopes, or other sizes for that matter, there is always a black ink mark staggered along the lead edge of the envelope. It is about 2mm from the leading edge of the envelope and almost the full width. What do I have to do to ensure that this ink mark is removed/not printed. It doesn't do it on single pages.

Thanks

ALTV

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

I think I have found the problem The printer will obviously not print envelopes that are of the Self Glued variety where the Top Flap is folded so that it is on the inside of the envelope and resting on the sides and the bottom Flap is folded back against the back of the envelope. This means there is a thickness of the envelope that is causing the top Flap to scrunch up and therefore is too thick to go through the rollers without catching the cartridge head.

It means that these envelopes cannot be printed on an HP Photosmart Plus All in One printer. What a waste!! I'll revert to long hand, at least I know that will not smudge!

ALTV

HP Recommended

Even that has not repaired the problem. I am still getting black ink marks on the envelopes. Has any one any idea what I have to do to make the printer do what it is supposed to do? If it is not intended to print envelopes, then delete anything that is remotely connected with printing envelopes.

Thanks

ALTV

HP Recommended

Maybe the answer is to clean the area below the print head, but there is no way I can see of doing that. Perhaps, again, someone here can enlighten me.

Thanks

ALTV

HP Recommended

I have the Photosmart Premier Premium c410a.  The issue is that the leading edge of the envelope is scraping the very, very dirty underside of the ink cartridge carrier on the first swipe of the print heads.  To keep this from happening, apply a small piece of tape on the underside of the leading edge to hold the flap down.  This solution will probably work for many printers.

Tape the edge

HP Recommended

Decafin8

That may well work, but I can see no way of putting tape where you suggest.

I've actually given up getting an answer that works and use long hand  At least I can rely on that!!

Thanks for your response.

ALTV

HP Recommended
Worked wonders for me. It's just scotch tape. Good luck.
HP Recommended

Decafin8

I mis-read your response, and thought you were talking about placing tape under the leading edge of the Cartridge edge!!

The answer would be to not use self-adhesive envelopes!! Or alternatively buy some soft glue tape and do as you say so that it is easily removed from the envelope. I think that, somehow, that defeats the object!

ALTV

HP Recommended

I am using the HP Photosmart 6510.  I printed a #10 envelope that is not self adhesive and there is a defined ink mark (line) on the edge of return address side (leading edge into printer tray) of the envelope.  So it has nothing to do with being a self adhesive envelope or not.  Seems that the roller (?) is "dirty" and somehow ink has had time to collect on same and transfers onto envelope.

I had the same problem with the HP C310 printer and it got so bad that I exercised my extended warranty and got the HP Photosmart 6510.  Worked fine for awhile and now the same problem is showing up on the 6510.

I wonder if it has anything to do with thickness of envelope, etc.

HP Recommended

Thank you for posting this fix to the leading edge smudgy ink problem (return address side.)  Although the fix did not totally eliminate the problem, it did greatly reduce the amount of the ink left on the the side of the envelope. 

I really do not blame HP for such issue because there are loads of different qualities and weights of paper envelopes, too many to test them all. 

Now that I have the HP Photosmart printer working well, I enjoy the flexibility it offers for printing different sizes of various projects.

This forum has been great for sharing problems and fixes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.