Black line through every page on HP Officejet 8500 A909a (2214 Views)
Honor Student
Aya0805
Message 1 of 5 (2,214 Views)
Accepted Solution

Black line through every page on HP Officejet 8500 A909a

We've had this printer for a while at the Office and not even a week ago it started printing with a black line through every page. Normally that would constitute a problem with the cleaner head. WRONG! It's not the cleaner head. It will print from the computer without the black line and when something is printed from the glass scanner it won't show a black line through my documents. The only time it shows up is when I print copies from the tray. It also happens when we fax some of our documents to some of our important clients and companies.

We NEED this to work. What could possibly be the issue? This has got to be fixed AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! It's beyond urgent that I get a reply on what I can do for this printer. Faxes must be sent daily from our Office. I have files just piling up on my desk. HELP! :smileysad:

Thank you!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (2,206 Views)

Re: Black line through every page on HP Officejet 8500 A909a

There is a small (about 1" wide) section of glass that is used for the ADF scanning.  It is just to the left of the main glass, see this post for details.  A spot on this glass will turn into a line as the paper is fed past it by the document feeder.  Cleaning this section should resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 5 (2,204 Views)

I found a picture, page 185 of the user manual here has cleaning instructions for the glass.

In the diagram the glass that is causing the problem is the thin section with the arrow pointing to it below:

8500 clean.png

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
Aya0805
Message 4 of 5 (2,197 Views)

Thank you soooooo much! <3 You are some kind of amazing! :smileywink:

Student
hardcoldcash
Message 5 of 5 (549 Views)

Found the little spot and cleaned it up.  Barely visible.  Many thanks for the info

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation