Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@LoneKharnivore wrote:

Don't treat us like idiots please. That link literally suggests that black might not be printing because you're out of black.

This is a brand-new black cartridge. The vent is clear. I have used over half my £50-worth of colour cartridges in running printhead cleans. i have run every kind of setting reset.

HP 3520e was printing fine thirty seconds before I replaced the black and then nothing.

Nowhere in the literally thousands of posts on this subject does an HP employee offer anything useful.

Please, please tell me I can fix this without buying a new printer and throwing away four three-day-old XL ink cartridges.

The fact that you happen to have a new black cartrdige in place does not mean others do, and the first thing to check if black is not printing black is that there is adequate ink in the cartridge.

There is certainly useful information in the first post in this thread, from an HP employee.  It says that if your issue is not resolved after going through the troubleshooting steps in the document you should contact HP support - EVEN IF THE PRINTER IS NO LONGER IN WARRANTY.

Please follow the instructions as clearly written, if your issue is not resolved as a result please post back here with details.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have seen the results of contacting HP in a dozen other threads - hours on the phone, random disconnects, ridiculous shipping and servicing charges and then replacement with a lesser printer. I have actually researched this.

In several other places that same HP employee sends private messages to complainers who then stop complaining, presumably because their problems are solved. This clearly indicates that HP know what the problem is, know a fix for it, but won't put it into the public domain - perhaps so people spend more money on their products.

I will indeed contact them now but I don't see why my experience should be any different to all those others.

HP Recommended
when you produced a product that has a failure reported by multiple individuals where the ink cartridge has been checked then you really have a problem.HP has ignored the fact that they have a hardware issue and have pushed it on to the consumer.there are options that HP could have taken 2 of kept me as a customer.considering how much they make on ink cartridges and that I already bought 2 after my problem occurred a coupon discount on a new printer would have made all the difference in the worldinstead I went to another vendor.
HP Recommended

So, I contacted HP. My initial report was:

"Replaced my black cartridge with a brand new XL and now it won't print black, at all. I have followed all the suggested steps - checked the vent, run printhead cleaning several times (using more than half my brand new XL colour cartridges in the process), performed both hard and soft resets, and nothing works."

Their response was:

"4:19 PM   Anna:  I would request you to follow the below steps to resolve the issue :

4:20 PM   Me: ...Are you kidding me?
4:20 PM   Me: In my initial report I said I had already done all of those.
4:21 PM   Anna: I wanted to confirm that you have followed the same steps .
4:21 PM   Me: Yes. Yes I have.
4:22 PM   Anna: Are you using HP genuine ink cartridges ?"

Which, for those of you playing along at home, is the first step in the list I already said I had followed.

She wants to send me a new black cartridge "as the colour ones are getting detected". The fact that the black is also getting detected doesn't seem to matter, but oh well. Let's see.

Sounds like HP manufactured a whole load of duff cartridges but won't own up to it.

HP Recommended

@LoneKharnivore 

Sorry to hear this. I seriously doubt a replacement cartridge is going to help. Can I suggest you call the agent back and ask them for a printer replacement (reference the post below, sent them the link even..)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Black-not-printing/td-p/4928612

Please let me know how you get on 

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

So what do you do if you live outside of the US. The guy I talked to in Costa Rica was pretty insistent that this printhead was something that I should expect to wear out and there was nothing he could do. I tried telling him that the HP forums indicated to call even if the printer was out of warranty, but he was not helpful at all.

@Ciara_B wrote:

@LoneKharnivore 

Sorry to hear this. I seriously doubt a replacement cartridge is going to help. Can I suggest you call the agent back and ask them for a printer replacement (reference the post below, sent them the link even..)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Black-not-printing/td-p/4928612

Please let me know how you get on 

Thanks

Ciara

HP Recommended

@Ciara_B

Transcript follows.

5:08 PM   Anna: I have checked the given weblink .
5:08 PM   Me: Cool.
5:10 PM   Anna: I understand your concern here. In fact, we cannot acknowledge on what others comment in the forums, but we will have to follow our standard troubleshooting procedure in order to resolve this issue. Please co-operate. I request you to wait until you receive the Black cartridge which is expected to resolve this issue.
5:11 PM Me: Okeydoke.

I've worked tech support, so I wasn't going to be unpleasant about it.
HP Recommended

Just buy a new printer, this problem can not be fixed.

HP Recommended

Have tried all support suggestions still can't print with black, any non- HP support ideas??

HP Recommended

@frankie_g wrote:

Have tried all support suggestions still can't print with black, any non- HP support ideas??

Did you try calling HP Support?  If not I would suggest you do as described in the post above, even if your printer is out of warranty.

If for some reason you do not care to do that the post here may help.  (Personally I would call HP....)

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.