Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Proud Epson owner here also... Enough is enough!

HP Recommended

Here's my experience with PS 6520e (out of warranty) not printing black.

The 6250e stopped printing black for no apparent reason.  I cleaned and aligned the print heads multiple times, put in a  new cartridge, and made sure the "Y" vent on the cartridge was not clogged.  After 6-8 hours of working on this, I got frustrated, physically uninstalled the printer, deleted it (from Windows7), and set it aside.  I went out and bought a new Canon Pixma.  Easy install and so far, so good.  

The 6520e sat in my office a week gathering dust.  Before I was ready to scrap it, I decided to try once more.  Turned it ON, connected it to my home wireless network, reinstalled the (basic) driver, and did a test print.  Wouldn't you know it......it starts printing black!  Couldn't believe it.  Of course, it could fail  again at any time.

I have had two HP printers fail in the last three years and have now lost confidence in HP.  They either don't know how to design/produce quality printers or this is part of their "planned obsolescence" business model.  

Meg Whitman, are you listening?   

HP Recommended

They are using cheap plastic gears on the part that so calls cleans the printhead Wih time thehes wear and they damage the print head rather than clean BEST place for HP printers is the garbage can

HP Recommended

Has anyone had any success reaching anyone at HP about this pervasive problem with the printers?

Phillip

HP Recommended

I still maintain that the 'Gremlins' broke it. Now the 'Gremlins' have partially fixed it. All I did was write some comments here after following all instructions that did not help. The one that seemed to get attention was that I was going to purchase a new printer. Which I did.

I continued to see automatic updates coming in from HP. I ignored them for well over two weeks. Then, out of curiosity, turned on the HP and it ran a test pattern on it own accord. (Gremlins). I tried to print out something and would you believe I now have black ink printing. There is still an issue with a strange print screen coming up when I invoke the print routine.  

I am still waiting, I think there is now a problem with the colors. They did not print out completely on the test pattern. 

HP Recommended

Here's what I did to get my PS6520e to print black ink.

1) Powered off and disconnected the printer from my PC.

2) Went into Windows and deleted the printer.

3) Reconnected the printer to my home wireless network. 

4) I let Windows search for and install the basic driver. 

5) Ran a self test from the LED control panel (on the printer itself).  Black printed OK.

6) Printed a Word doc. Black printed fine.

NOTE: The only thing different is that I installed the basic 6520e print driver - NOT the advanced HP PhotoSmart software (installs/runs on Windows).  A disadvantage of the basic driver is that it does not report printer status, run test, show ink levels, etc. (in Windows).  You have to use the LED control panel on the printer itself for this.  Also, with the basic driver, I don't get automatic printer software updates from HP.        

I have no idea if this is the true solution or just a temporary fix, but it worked for me.

HP Recommended
I'm having the same issue with my photosmart 5512. I replaced all the ink and it was printing fine. Then it stopped printing in black. I have done everything the forum suggest without success. I bought a new black ink even though what was in there was still full and that one didn't work either. I'm sure the warranty is no good. What else can I do? I'm a poor urban teacher and I can't afford to replace everything.
HP Recommended

@KatieLaur wrote:
I'm having the same issue with my photosmart 5512. I replaced all the ink and it was printing fine. Then it stopped printing in black. I have done everything the forum suggest without success. I bought a new black ink even though what was in there was still full and that one didn't work either. I'm sure the warranty is no good. What else can I do? I'm a poor urban teacher and I can't afford to replace everything.

For the Photosmart 5512 the troubleshooting steps in the document here may help.  Especially make sure the vents are cleared.  If that does not resolve the issue then resetting the printer as described in the post here may help.  If this does not resolve the issue then read the entire thread here and try requesting reset instructions.

How far out of warranty is the printer?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY THERE IS NOT MUCH TO DO BUT TO SCRAP IT

HP Recommended
I have tried everything in all the postings, can I have the reset instructions?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.