Brand new print cartridge doesn't print (716 Views)
Student
tcarano
Message 1 of 2 (716 Views)

Brand new print cartridge doesn't print

HP Officejet J6480 All-in-One

I just bought a set of brand-new black (HP 74XL) printer cartridges from Sam's Club... two cartridges per package. When I replaced my black ink cartridge, I kept getting alignment errors. I couldn't fix the errors, so I put the original black cartridge (that was almost out of ink) back into the printer. The printer aligned successfully. It was then that I noticed that the alignment page that printed for the new cartridge was missing all of the black print areas. I reinstalled the new cartridge and tried again with the same result. I tried cleaning the print heads, the black cartridge still wouldn't print. After several tried, I replaced the new cartridge with the second new cartridge from the package. This cartridge printed and aligned successfully.

After pulling out the non-printing cartridge, I checked to make sure no tape residue was left on the print head that was blocking it from printing. I don't see any tape or residue, but I did notice that the print head appears to have dried ink on it, but since it wasn't printing, I can't see how it would have ink on the head.

Is it possible that this is a recycled print cartridge that is clogged? They are HP-brand cartridges.

How would I go about getting this brand new cartridge replaced (or unclogged)? Print cartridges are not cheap, so I don't want to just throw it away, but it is completely unusable.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 2 (694 Views)

Re: Brand new print cartridge doesn't print

Hello tcarano

Sounds like you have a bad cartridge. If in fact they are Genuine HP cartridges you should be able to contact support as the cartridges have their own warranty. The link below will have the number for support.

Contact HP

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation